General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1984 Accord Sedan sat for 6 months. Won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 01:53 PM
Default 1984 Accord Sedan sat for 6 months. Won't start.

Hey guys, first post here. I have a beautifully kept 84 accord with 170k miles on it. Before the issue this thing fired up every time no problem; it ran like a champion.

Fast forward to now and when I turn the key nothing happens. No lights, nothing. I started simple with a jump. Nothing worked. Checked the fuses, all good. Cleaned the battery terminals, nothing. Replaced the battery, still no lights and no attempt to turn over. I looked around to see if an animal may have chewed something and it looks fine.

Any of this sound familiar? Or are there any other ways to diagnose the problem? I'll be standing by if you guys need more info. Thanks a bunch.

Edit: I was messing around on the dash and am able to get the lights to turn on, but other electronics do not work on the dash or radio. Could there be a fuse problem I missed? Only checked the main ones.

Also, going away from the battery there are a couple of thick cables that each have big clear clips. I opened up these clips and saw that there is a lot of white goo all over the male part of the clip and inside the female piece. Is this corrosion that needs cleaned away?

Last edited by illuminator77; 06-02-2015 at 02:10 PM. Reason: New information..
Old 06-02-2015, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest voltage drop test on both battery cables (battery to starter on positive, and battery to grounded end of cable for negative). See following video.

Also clean posts and inside of terminals.

good luck

Old 06-08-2015, 01:06 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

In my neck of woods, letting a vehicle sit for 6 months, has let mice and cottontails have free reign
to chew up everything electrical and build nests under the dash and in vents. Royal pain to undo.

You're aware of potential problem, good, suggest put three mouse traps inside car and under hood and in trunk
to see if you have my usual suspects present.