General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 sat in some water and won't turn over

Old 07-10-2014, 07:59 PM
Default 97 sat in some water and won't turn over

So a massive flood came through very quickly in my neighborhood and my 97 sat in it for a little while, as shown below. The water was a bit higher than this when we went to go push it out, but it never touched the bottom black molding of the exterior/door.

Name:  iIZVhsY.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  413.9 KB

Now it won't start at all, it won't try to turn over or anything. Accessory electrical works just fine, headlights, dome lights, gauge cluster and radio, etc. When I turn the key, cluster lights turn off and then nothing happens, lights don't dim at all or anything so I don't think the battery is under load from the starter - so I think something's wrong with the starter/solenoid. I can shift without problems and the gear lights are properly transitioning on the gauge cluster from Park all the way to 1.

All fuses check out, ECU seems to turn on briefly when I remove and reattach battery leads because my Scangauge II temporary turns on and connects to the ECU successfully. ECU didn't seem wet from what I could tell and no water reached the cab fuse panel or master relay. The only discernible symptom from this flood is about an inch and a half of water on the passenger floorboards.

Any help? I plan on doing some testing on the starter tomorrow. I miss my car.

Thanks.

Edit: correction, can't shift without pressing the shift-lock release with a screwdriver. I'm gonna look into that now.

Last edited by turkeysandwhich; 07-10-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check that battery connections are clean and tight. Poor connection can cause this symptom.

Next check the small wire (usually blk/wht) that sends a 12v signal from keyswitch to cause the solenoid to engage.

If you have a 12v signal and no response, the solenoid is likely open and a new starter is indicated.

If you're missing a 12V signal from keyswitch, the electrical portion of ignition switch assy is likely fault. See DIY forum and youtube for videos.

good luck

Old 07-11-2014, 08:53 AM

I'll be testing the starter today after I get off work, thanks. Any advice on why I can't shift out of park without using the shift lock release? I'm going to test the ignition switch for continuity as well.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check your brake lights. If no brake lights, the brake light switch may be damaged. Interlock circuit will prevent shifting unless brake switch is closed.

good luck

Old 07-11-2014, 04:31 PM

Alright it's running again. Basically, ECU wasn't where I thought it was. Small amount of water got into the ECU. Took it out, took it apart, cleaned it out really good and the car fired right up. No issues so far. It will be properly cleaned to remove contaminants in the near future.

Thanks for your help.