General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1984 Honda Accord engine loses power when gas pedal is pressed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 08:42 AM
Default 1984 Honda Accord engine loses power when gas pedal is pressed!

Okay guys,

I made it a good while after swapping the carburetor out last time to fix the idle problem and she's been purring like a kitty, not to mention getting 37 mpg on the highway. Until a few weeks ago that is, when it decided to start slowing down on I-85 in rush hour traffic and wouldn't speed back up because of the engine cutting out as the gas pedal was applied. It seemed to only do it once and with a bit of just feathering the gas I finally got it to go back to normal and kept driving fine with no more problems that day. Another time I was going up a hill and it wouldn't make it so I had to pull over, waited like 5 minutes, then started it back up and took off, no more problems that day either. Each time in between these faults, I drive normally and even drove about 350 miles straight in one day with no problems before it happened again, except this time it continued to happen 3 or 4 times in a row, getting better, dropping speed, then getting better and going a few miles, then dropping speed again. If I let off of the gas pedal, the car idles low but doesn't seem to act weird and doesn't shut off. But when you reapply the gas it seems to hesitate and sounds like it sucks air for a second and then will sort of rev like it's struggling. After revving that time it revs normally again and then will seem to run fine until you pull back out on the street and let the clutch out in doing so, puts a load on the engine and it sputters and tries to cut off. I've tried to include everything I can think of in this post and hopefully it's not too rambled. Any ideas on what might be the culprit would be awesome because this is my daily driver and being a poor college kid means it's important I make it to work everyday haha.