General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1987 honda accord dx

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Default 1987 honda accord dx

i have this car and i messed with a screw on the carborator its located on the top right hand or the carborator when i turned it it had gas coming out of it can somone help me re adjust it so it can run norman again thanks

Old 12-14-2010, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

A pic would be nice? Top, right hand side and gas came out-many questions-Description or left and right are as you sit in the car...ie LHD=left hand drive.

Anyway without further information, I will assume/guess that was the float level. Was it a flat head screw with a "nut" under it...might have still had yellow paint on it?

Old 12-14-2010, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
A pic would be nice? Top, right hand side and gas came out-many questions-Description or left and right are as you sit in the car...ie LHD=left hand drive.

Anyway without further information, I will assume/guess that was the float level. Was it a flat head screw with a "nut" under it...might have still had yellow paint on it?
1987 honda accord dx-sts2.jpg the screw is the gold flat head on your top right u see it i messed with it thinking it was the ibel screw if i turn it one way gas will come up if i turn it the other way it will die out then it will start back fiering so what should i do to adjust it correctly please help thanks. the way i adjusted it itis now smoking more it s a light white smoke and it seems to be wasting alot of gas. this is driving me nuts.

Last edited by kaneman; 12-14-2010 at 07:57 PM. Reason: need to add more
Old 12-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry been reading other posts and that. Yes that is the float adjust screw, spaced on the nut-must have been thinking of the Holley on the Chevelle. On the side-right of you pic, there should be a "sight glass" to the fuel bowl. Standing from the drivers fender looking at the side of the carb you should see it,,,about 1/3 of the way down from the top of the carb.

A manual will help, I'm going on memory here. The fuel level in the bowl should stay between the little marks on the sight glass. If it over fills then raw fuel goes into the carb flooding the engine and or creating a rich (black smoke) condition. Too low and it will "starve" out under acel.

This float shuts off gas to the carb when the bowl is full. When the gas level drops the "valve" open to let gas in.

I do not have my computer at home (using the wife's) tonight so I can't get the exact procedure for adjusting the float level. I will have it tomorrow night. In the mean time check the DIY section for a manual you can download, it will have the procedure in it.

Last, why were you adjusting things? Something else has to be going on?

EDIT: Just for my own reasons....it did still have the yellow/gold paint on it..that is a good sign.

Last edited by poorman212; 12-14-2010 at 09:12 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 12-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry for the rambling. Read you last post agin. PLEASE do not screw that adjustment ALL the way down (tight, right). You might damage the "seat" of the needle. Not the end but more of a P.I.A. Slow quarter/eighth turns on that screw. Down/right/tight lowers the level of fuel in the bowl...the other way raises the level in the bowl. Agian use the sight glass with the marks in the middle of it.

A proper working carb, while running and warm you should not see ANY liquid gas going into the primary throat of the carb (back throat in your pic). If there is then there other issues that need to be resolved/checked.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:38 PM

Sorry for the rambling. Read you last post agin. PLEASE do not screw that adjustment ALL the way down (tight, right). You might damage the "seat" of the needle. Not the end but more of a P.I.A. Slow quarter/eighth turns on that screw. Down/right/tight lowers the level of fuel in the bowl...the other way raises the level in the bowl. Agian use the sight glass with the marks in the middle of it.

A proper working carb, while running and warm you should not see ANY liquid gas going into the primary throat of the carb (back throat in your pic). If there is then there other issues that need to be resolved/checked.
thanks for the tip i found the glass thing u were talking about but no markings i dont know what or where to level it at what should i do

Old 12-15-2010, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

One day I've go learn, I know everyone has told me 1,000 times, how to post attachments.

Not sure how this will turn out.

Attached Thumbnails 1987 honda accord dx-float.jpg  
Old 12-15-2010, 08:06 PM

One day I've go learn, I know everyone has told me 1,000 times, how to post attachments.

Not sure how this will turn out.
i got the pic thanks any way u can get me the manuale i cant get it from the diy part on here ill try this tommorow thanks for the help.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

PM sent. If you're up to it PM me back. Search for the post I referenced to.