General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 Accord Lx! New to the Forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1989 Accord Lx! New to the Forum.

Hello Honda Accord Enthusiasts!! I am the owner of an 89 Accord LX with only 80k miles on it!!:O It is my first car, I have been driving it to school. Before it became my responsibility it sat in the yard and wasnt driven very much and after driving it daily for a few months, I have done abit of maintenence on it that was needed.

So far I've done the oil, replaced Fuel Filters, Air filter, Radiator Flush, and I had to replace the old Fuel Pump (now it runs great was bucking and stalling before the new pump!) I love how I didnt have to drop the tank to access the fuel pump too!! Last thing I have to do is Drain the ATF and put a new filter in there which I know it needs pretty bad.

After that then I'll work on the exterior get it repainted and what not, then last thing is the interior which is in great cond. I'm just gonna put a new radio and speakers in her. I really like this lil sedan!

EDIT: Also put in new front brake pads.

Last edited by George89; 01-22-2011 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Forgot to put in info
Old 01-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

At this age, you need to replace the timing belts, even though the mileage limit may not have been reached (90K miles?). Age limit is about 7 years, so you're way past due for timing belts. Also replace the tensioner bearing, since this component may suffer from dried out grease.

good luck

Old 01-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
At this age, you need to replace the timing belts, even though the mileage limit may not have been reached (90K miles?). Age limit is about 7 years, so you're way past due for timing belts. Also replace the tensioner bearing, since this component may suffer from dried out grease.

good luck
Thank you TexasHonda, timing belts were replaced last year my dad got that done. As for the tensioner bearing I will look into that.

I have a question about my Transmission. (Automatic)

The fluid is old, black, and dirty. I have heard good and bad about a transmission flush what is your opinion on this? What I plan on doing is just draining it and putting a new filter in, it does shift hard and I know that Tranny is runnin hot more so under heavy acceleration. So, flush and filter or drain and filter?

Old 01-23-2011, 08:58 AM

Suggest considering a complete fluid displacement.

1) First stop is drain and replace fluid in trans reservoir.

2) Displacment requires releasing one of the hoses from trans to trans cooler (part of radiator). It may take experiment to determine which is supply and return. Best to hook to return line nipple after hose is removed. Hook a short length of ~ 3/8" ID clear hose to the released nipple end at radiator and direct to a 2-5 gallon catch pan. Gentle blowing on released return line to trans will push fluid in the hose into reservoir.

3) Start engine and run 1-2 qts into catch pan. It won't take but 10-15 secs, so you have to step lively to crank engine, check flow is oK, and cut engine off.

4) Add 1-2 qts to refill reservoir and repeat 3) until clear ATF fluid exits hose into catch bucket.

This procedure replaces 100% of old fluid (probably 7-8 qts) w/ new ATF. Suggest using Honda ATF Z71.

For a visual of this procedure search "atomatic fluid" in youtube. Yes, w/ that spelling for a good video of general procedure.

good luck

Old 01-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Suggest considering a complete fluid displacement.

1) First stop is drain and replace fluid in trans reservoir.

2) Displacment requires releasing one of the hoses from trans to trans cooler (part of radiator). It may take experiment to determine which is supply and return. Best to hook to return line nipple after hose is removed. Hook a short length of ~ 3/8" ID clear hose to the released nipple end at radiator and direct to a 2-5 gallon catch pan. Gentle blowing on released return line to trans will push fluid in the hose into reservoir.

3) Start engine and run 1-2 qts into catch pan. It won't take but 10-15 secs, so you have to step lively to crank engine, check flow is oK, and cut engine off.

4) Add 1-2 qts to refill reservoir and repeat 3) until clear ATF fluid exits hose into catch bucket.

This procedure replaces 100% of old fluid (probably 7-8 qts) w/ new ATF. Suggest using Honda ATF Z71.

For a visual of this procedure search "atomatic fluid" in youtube. Yes, w/ that spelling for a good video of general procedure.

good luck
Okay thanks and one ques. the manual says use Dextron II ATF should I use that instead it is an older Honda.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:32 PM

I can say w/ certainty. Perhaps someone else may know. I do know that most form 1990 on have been using ATF Z1. I certainly doubt any harm would come from using a good quality Dextron ATF.

good luck