General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1990 accord brakes

Old 01-28-2006, 04:21 PM
yamahonda06
Unregistered
Default 1990 accord brakes

Hey, I have a warped front driverside rotor that needs to be replaced, how would i go about doing this, and how difficult is it?(It was warped when i got the car.) Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 01-28-2006, 06:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 1990 accord brakes

easy as ****.... you should do both fronts at the same time, and you should replace the pads also. i just put some raybestos ceramics on my acura, and they are really really good i was impressed for how cheap they were. so....

take your tire off....4 19mm nuts hold it on
unhook your brake line from the strut.....2 10mm nuts there
get yourself a folgers coffee can (to rest the caliper on)
take the caliper off ......2 12 or 14 mm bolts hold this on
pull the pads out.....remember that the squeaker pad goes on the back ie. put the pads back on the same way they came off.
take the caliper braket off......2 bolts should be 17mm hold this on

now the rotor comes right off!!!! not too many jobs easier than that....except maybe changing a fuse or something. good luck pm me if you have any questions or get hung up on anything.

I would recommend replacing the rotors when you take them off with a set of cross drilled....but you can just have the rotor turned at a machine shop for about 8 bucks and they should be able to take the warp out of it.

lightshow

Old 01-28-2006, 06:24 PM

yo lightshow you are thinking of pre 90 accord.where it was rotor over hub..90-97 it is hub over rotor a lot more work to do ..than just what you suggested..

I got to get to a meeting right now when get back i will give all the details step by step ..

Old 01-28-2006, 08:46 PM

This procdure will work on all hub over rotrs 90-97 accords

If you got the regular big wheel cover

remove 2 lug nuts, remove the black plasitc piece and reinstall lug nuts

remove the other 2 lug nuts and the wheel cover

reinstall the other 2 lug nut with wheel cover off..tighten all lug nuts for now

With the car on the ground, loosen the axle nut. you need a 36mm socket, a pry bar . long extention and the biggest guy you can find to step on the extention ,,

lossen up the 4 , 14mm bolts that attach hub to rotor, get a good 6 point socket do not remove them

Lift and support the car.
Remove the tire.

Remove the axle nut.

remove the 2, 17mm bolts that hold the caliper on

Remove the caliper and zip tie it out of the way.
Remove the cotter pin from the lower ball joint castle nut.

Remove the castle nut. 17 mm

Hit the lower control arm with a big hammer where the ball joint goes into it. This will pop it free.
swing the knuckle assembly out of the way

Remove the axle from the car, get a screwdriver and pry it out of the tranny, then slip it throught the A bracket , it will go through

on the back side of the rotor there are 4 ,, 10mm ,12 point bolts ,,you need a 12 point socket ,,on a few cars i have seen that they have regular 12 mm bolts ..so use whichever socket you need
Remove the four bolts holding the bearing onto the hub.

If the hub/rotor/bearing assembly doesn't drop away from the knuckle try hitting the rotor with a hammer to try freeing it.sometimes they get rusted in so you might have to hit it a fee times

If this doesn't work, I would recommend removing the knuckle from the car and take it to a machine shop and have them press everything apart and put everything back together.

If it drops away, remove the four bolts that hold the rotor to the hub that you loosened earlier.
Then slip the rotor over the bearing.

Then just reassemble everything in reverse order.

See ?? piece of cake

If you got any questions holler