General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 Accord EX VSS and O2 sensor(s)? and clanking

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

That one might be a manual trans. In fact, some years the VSS has something to do with the power-steering lines, which you see in the new picture (post #10).

Hopefully the electrical part is replacable without opening up the P/S system. Maybe someone with a manual-trans. 1990 can chime in.

I've never heard anyone say the VSS is EASY to get to.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Chilton

That's not happy news that you've never heard it to be easy to get to. I was kind of under the impression it would be since my Chilton repairs manual shows no pictures and has no steps other than:
1.Remove negative battery cable
2.Unplug Vss
3.Remove Vss

etc...

So I figured it shouldn't be that tough.

P.s. mine is indeed a manual transmission. Do you think the blue outline in picture 3 of post 5 might be that power steering tie in? I don't know that they are attached at all but the part in blue is definitely going to give issues accessing what I think is the VSS

Old 03-26-2010, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

It's tough from the standpoint of how much stuff is blocking the way. First get the air intake out of the way. I'll try to go through this with a couple different parts drawing...

You have a cable shifter (first picture). What's in the blue outline looks like the ends of the shift cables. Shift into different gears to move them around, maybe that will help move them out of the way.

Those shift cables attach to the shift arms #5 & 9 in this picture. Your VSS is located farther towards the left side of the car.

Here's the next part of the transmission case, which bolts to the backside of the previous picture. The VSS is located here, but not shown in this picture (just to make it frustrating...) The shift cables are mounted to part #10 which is bolted to the top of this part of the transmsision case.

This next picture shows the VSS/PS sensor as #9 over on the right, showing where it mounts in the transmission case.

Here's a picture of the P/S hoses hooked up to that VSS assembly.

Now I think you don't have to take out that whole assembly. This all leads up to the last picture which is so simple that it's useless without all that other stuff. Your VSS is #1 in this picture. #3 is some kind of coupling to the rotating parts of the P/S speed sensor.

I think you should be able to remove that VSS (#1) without opening the P/S system. But there's a lot of stuff in the way.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Jim Blake's a hero

Seriously my friend I can tell you've put some real time into this. Thank you very much. I'll be pulling it out tomorrow. I'll get back and let you know how it all goes.
Thank you again!

Old 03-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Results

Here's my update. I've pulled the VSS. It took some trickery and pulling of two of my shifting cables that were blocking access to one of the bolts. The VSS tested negatively so I've ordered a new one. It was cheap on ebay.

Pulled my fan and found damage on my radiator and in fact a leak resulting from the fan contacting the radiator. The bearing on the AC condenser fan motor has wobble in it. I plan to check pick n pull for that in hopes of finding a cheap replacement. Unfortunately I'll likely need a new radiator in the future because it took a while to take a look.

Things are looking up for ol shelly. I still have no final decision on what is up with my O2 sensor. Perhaps it's just one of those issues that's not worth pursuing since the CEL ceases once exhaust temp is up.

Thanks for the help gents!

Drew