General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1990 Accord LX

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 10:28 PM
Exclamation 1990 Accord LX

My 1990 Accord LX will not start.

I bought the car back in August and haven't had any problems with it until now. It ran beautifully the whole time I had it, but I drove it over to a friend's house and came back about an hour later and it would not start.

I'm not sure what the issue is, but originally I assumed my battery was dead, and had a friend try and jump me. That didn't work at all so we tried to push start it since it is manual. Again, car would not start.

I am getting power to my head and break lights, dome light, and hazards, so I don't think it has anything to do with my battery. I have checked all my fuses (that I am aware of) under the hood, and under my dash and they all seem good.

I had taken apart the casing around my steering column to take out the ignition to get a new key made, so my ignition switch is easily accessible. Tried manually turning that and I got nothing. I even took apart the switch and made sure everything was getting proper connection internally.

I am not very good or knowledgeable with anything car related, and I cannot seem to find any fix for this.

My car is parked over by my buddy's house about a half mile away and it is mid-winter here in Washington, so there isn't a whole lot of tinkering around I have been able to do.

Anyone have a clue what to do? Most of my friends who consider themselves "Honda-savvy" have been no help.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the starter is not spinning the engine over when you turn the key to start - correct me if I'm wrong?

Pull the small BLK/WHT wire from the starter solenoid - as someone turns the key to the start position, measure for batter voltage on the wire - what reading do you get?

Old 02-04-2017, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Sounds like the starter is not spinning the engine over when you turn the key to start - correct me if I'm wrong?

Pull the small BLK/WHT wire from the starter solenoid - as someone turns the key to the start position, measure for batter voltage on the wire - what reading do you get?
I'm not getting anything at all when I turn the key. Car will not even turn on. Probably should have mentioned that in my original post. So I don't think there would be any voltage on the wire... am I mistaken?

Old 02-04-2017, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

SO wait, you turn the key to "on" - where it would be if the car was running - and there is no power to anything like the dash, radio, ect?

Old 02-04-2017, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
SO wait, you turn the key to "on" - where it would be if the car was running - and there is no power to anything like the dash, radio, ect?
Nothing at all happens when I turn my key in any position. No power, no radio, no dash. My battery seems functional as my head, break, dome, and hazard lights all work.

Old 02-04-2017, 02:56 PM

Update: After checking all my fuses again, I found that the culprit was, upon second review (in the daylight this time), my ignition fuse.

Thanks for everything.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Glad you got it figured out and was something pretty simple.