General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 Accord A/T Problems Running...Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:46 PM
xbrad420
Unregistered
Default 1990 Accord A/T Problems Running...Help

Hello all. New here as you can tell.

I have a 1990 Accord with 192k miles. Last night I drove to a friends with no problems. About 3 hours later, I tried to start the car to no prevail. As soon as the key was turned to the on position, there was a loud humming sound coming from a small black box in between the battery and fender (passenger side). I have been searching around for a day now almost and cannot figure out what this black box is.

Well, today I go to start the car and it starts right up. Only one problem, it will do nothing but idle. As soon as the throttle is opened at all the car bogs down like it wants to die. The humming is gone also.

Does anyone have any ideas? Please help if you can.

The car is leaking no oil. Full of coolant.

There is a little bit of corrosion on the battery terminals but I highly doubt it is the root of this problems. I am hoping it is a common issue with these vehicles.

I am awaiting advice...Thanks to all.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1990 Accord A/T Problems Running...Help

For starters, clean all ends of both battery cables and make sure that all ends are secure.

Have you kept up on the maintenance items, i.e. the spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor?

When your car didn't start, did the starter turn the engine?

Old 01-07-2009, 02:35 PM
xbrad420
Unregistered

Yes, last night it would still turn over. As soon as it turned over the loud wining sound appeared. Then it would damn near die if not. Plugs, cap, rotor, and wires were all replaced within the past 7k miles. I will try cleaning the battery terminals and cables.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

The only 'Black Box' I can think of by the battery would be the air filterbreather box ?
Maybe there is a big rats nest under the air filter blocking air flow??
in any event you should open it up, and or remove the air snorkle tube from the throttle body.
Then try to start the engine to see if you can better tell where the noise is coming from.

A true story; had an old farmer bring in his 87 civic, the engine would run until the engine warmed up and the choke kicked off......then stall.
A big fat barn rat had climbed up inside the breather snorkle tube and died, blocking air flow.
The hot air door in the breather housing provided air until the engine warmed up.

Strange days indeed. [sm=insomnia.gif]