General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 Accord LX 2.2L cranks, starts, dies

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 04:45 PM
Default 1991 Accord LX 2.2L cranks, starts, dies

Just picked up 1991 Accord that was already non running and died on the guy while driving.
New (from what we were told and what we've done): distributor, wires, plugs, timing belt (20k old), fuel pump, fuel filter, cleaned injectors.
checked spark- sparks fine.
check fuel- full pressure.
checked voltage- pump (between 13.5-14.6v).
main relay has been checked AND swapped.
injectors- have pulse.

we corrected the timing as it was off a tooth and discovered a bolt had come out of the rear tensioner. This was done last night after purchase. The vehicle then started up and ran, i believe it still had a miss upon starting. my husband revved it and it died. Proceeded to start it back up and it proceeded to run, acts starved off fuel, and dies like it's out of gas.

we believe it skipped timing again when it was revved and my husband is in the process of pulling the belt and checking the timing marks. If they're off again we're getting a new belt.

But it's acting like a fuel delivery issue.
But again we checked/replaced:
- fuel pump
- fuel filter
- sending unit
- regulator
- cleaned nasty injectors up
- pressure
- regulator

oh, and it won't start with starting fluid BUT we have spark.
Any ideas other than main relay.

we haven't pulled the ecu but if the timing hasn't jumped again our next stop if pulling an ecu from salvage.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:52 PM

And I forgot to mention it has three ignition keys. All three keys will get it to crank. But the one that specifically says Honda is the one that gets it to start.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:52 PM

Looks like it jumped half a tooth. But belt is not loose at all. The hell.

Old 09-16-2018, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

When I did a timing belt on my 95 accord, I counted the teeth on old and new timing belt. The new belt was aftermarket while the original was a Honda belt. Instead of risking the belt being off, I purchased honda timing belt from the dealership.

I'm not sure if this is your issue. You could have too much slack on the side of the belt between the crank and cam sprockets causing it to be off one tooth.

Here is a video on a civic timing belt. Same principles apply to the accord.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:52 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by PAhonda
When I did a timing belt on my 95 accord, I counted the teeth on old and new timing belt. The new belt was aftermarket while the original was a Honda belt. Instead of risking the belt being off, I purchased honda timing belt from the dealership.

I'm not sure if this is your issue. You could have too much slack on the side of the belt between the crank and cam sprockets causing it to be off one tooth.

Here is a video on a civic timing belt. Same principles apply to the accord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoJcAS58CHg
Kind of like there's 1 tooth difference between a VTEC engine and a non-VTEC engine. A VTEC engine has even number of teeth on the belt.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:00 PM
Default A more thorough update, a little repetitive

We pulled a new belt from the parts store and compared them. I'll recount though.
I've been posting in Honda groups to no avail but down below is a more updated and hopefully more thorough description.

1990 Accord 2.2l 5spd trans with 220k.
Previous owner bought it, was driving home and it cut off. I believe he towed it home. He replaced the distributor and it drove fine then cut off. Would turn over but not start.
So I bought it from him and it's been 4 days now I'd diagnosing this thing

It has spark.
It has fuel.
It has compression.
I adjusted the timing twice (first time I discovered a tensioner belt backed out or left out - sticker shows belt changed at 200k. Second time I adjusted was after I revved it and it quit running. It was half a tooth off like it jumped again).
This guy threw every fuel and spark part in the book at it.
I've double checked wires, connectors, firing order. I got it to start and run when I first adjusted timing. Had a miss. I revved it and it died like I shut off the key. After that it'll start, run for a few seconds with a hard miss.
Pulled all the plugs, plug 4 has carbon buildup.
Finally checked the ecu for stored codes (no cel present) and got a code 15 (one long blink and five short) - ignition output signal.
Which the internet leads to the ignition control module/ignite. I pulled the old one from the old distributor, no change.
So I just went to the salvage and pulled an ECM from a 1991 Accord 5 speed. Two map sensors (cause $300 new???) And two ignitors.

I have no doubt this isn't going to do a damn thing.

Has ANYONE experienced this? We're talking new: plugs, wires, distributor, cap and rotor, fuel pump, fuel filter, main relays, etc. I got spark, fuel, and compression. I got nowhere else to go. Never been bested by a car but this one is a dead end but it's in cherry condition.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:01 PM

You said you the car cut of like you turned the key. Maybe this car has a bad ignition switch and something making it miss. Just throwing something out here. I understand your frustration I've been there

Old 09-18-2018, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
You said you the car cut of like you turned the key. Maybe this car has a bad ignition switch and something making it miss. Just throwing something out here. I understand your frustration I've been there
I was think something along the same lines too. Either that or the main relay was overheating, and shutting off, then cooling off and returning to work.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:46 AM

Do this test to check the switch. It's fairly simple.