General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 dx with dash lights and parking light problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

NY_Pito

I seriously for the life of me cannot understand why you do not run a wire from the drivers side fuse box to the dimmer switch which will when activate all the dash lights and another wire from the fuse box to the drivers side taillight where you connect to a wire there and now all your talilights would work.

What is wrong with that????

You would have the problem solved in 10 mins instead of what you are doing now.

What is wrong with running 2 new wires?

My car has been like that for 2 years, it is perfectly fine.

Poorman is trying hard to help but no one really understands why this problem happens or how to fix it as far as I have seen.

Do you want to drive your car at night again?

Last edited by crispin; 04-24-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:07 AM

Crispin...I do...want to drive at night...what gauge of wire did you use..I checked at the local auto shop and I could not find that fuse holder... I will keep looking.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:13 AM

I used around 22-24 gauge - it is not a high amp draw so large wire is not needed.

I buy all my stuff on-line so here is a link to 1 for sale on ebay

New Medium ATM Fuse Tap Add on Dual Circuit Adapter Auto Cart Auto Terminals | eBay

You will also need some blue butt connectors as well as a wire crimper.

I have never seen those 'fuse taps' for sale at a store but I live in a real rural area.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:08 AM

I just order it...its coming from Hong Kong..it may take a while.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by NY_Pito_NY
I just order it...its coming from Hong Kong..it may take a while.
Buddy am I sorry, I did not see that it was being shipped from overseas.

There are many others for sale that ship from the US.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

So do you have continuity from the headlight switch (red/blk) to the dimmer (red/blk).

If I read your posts and descriptions correct....you have power on that wire (red/blk) at the headlight switch but don't have power at the dimmer on the same wire. So try this, run a new wire from the red/black of the headlight switch to the red/blk of the dimmer......and crispin, I like to hold hope, some where in all of my reading I have read about back wires in the connector of the headlight switch. You would have to agree that at the switch you have power, yet that power is not getting to the dimmer and it is the same wire.....hummm. Just me, one of those testing things in the manuals.

PS-something on the site has "hosed" up the sort order -sent PM's and a few posts about the issue. So it will be hard for me to follow this until Ang does something....

Old 04-25-2012, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
So do you have continuity from the headlight switch (red/blk) to the dimmer (red/blk).

If I read your posts and descriptions correct....you have power on that wire (red/blk) at the headlight switch but don't have power at the dimmer on the same wire. So try this, run a new wire from the red/black of the headlight switch to the red/blk of the dimmer......and crispin, I like to hold hope, some where in all of my reading I have read about back wires in the connector of the headlight switch. You would have to agree that at the switch you have power, yet that power is not getting to the dimmer and it is the same wire.....hummm. Just me, one of those testing things in the manuals..
Yes running a wire to the dimmer switch should get his dash lights back on but how about the taillights and front corner lights.

My plan is to run a wire from the fuse box to the dimmer switch and then a wire to the taillights. However running 2 wires from the headlight switch to the taillights and the dimmer switch would work as well.

Kinda the same route.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:17 AM

OK will do the new wire fix .....so what am I connecting...a wire from the switch to the dimmer.? Or from the tap in fuse I will be connecting to the fuse box, to the dimmer?

Old 04-26-2012, 09:38 AM

poorman is suggesting running a wire from the switch to the dimmer, now that should get your dash lights working but will do nothing for your taillights.

I am recommending running a wire to the dimmer and to the rear taillights from the fuse tap. The reason for this is the same concern you had at the beginning that is making sure your do not have any electrical overloads. The fuse box can handle the amps and will also be protected by an additional fuse.

I do not know how much (amps) the wire coming from the switch can handle.

Poorman do you think the wire from the switch can be used to power both the dash lights and the 4 taillight bulbs (I think that is how many he has it could be 2) ? If so he can get everything working without much more effort.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:58 AM

**UPDATE**

Pito has fixed his problem!!

Jumping a wire from the switch harness to the dimmer switch got all his lights working.

What an easy solution... GOOD JOB POORMAN!!! and good job Pito for sticking in there and getting it going!!

Quick Reply: 1991 dx with dash lights and parking light problem