General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 Harmonic Balancer

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:07 AM
Default 1991 Harmonic Balancer

After searching for info on harmonic balancer, dampener, crank shaft pulley I think I've found the culprit to a wierd vibrating noise that got louder when I tightened the power steering.
I marked the balancer with white paint(thanks JimBlake & TexasHonda) in the front with the bolt(I wasn't sure were) and on the two pulleys(alternator & power steering) from the top. I ran the engine a little while until I heard the noise and checked the marks. The two pulleys didn't match up which I think is a bad thing?? since I tested my 93 accord and they matched up. The 91 has only 85K and my 93 got 199K miles on it.

Anybody ever used a Dorman or ATP harmonic balancer?

I'm hoping the pulley bolt will come off easily since the timing belt was recently changed, don't know why they didn't catch the bad balancer but I'm planning on buying this car for a good price since it has a few issues.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If the single radial mark became two separate marks rotated relative to each other, then harmonic balancer is bad.

This part is available aftermarket, but I have no experience w/ the brands you mention. Pretty simply device, so may be worth trying aftermarket.

You could probably find a used part at local salvage yard for < $20.

Make sure you alternator, PS, and AC are not difficult to turn. This might be cause of failure.

good luck

Old 05-12-2012, 09:02 PM

after almost entering my post I somehow hit the ad??? WTF so the short version is now I own the car and took off balancer, front cover got grinded into(can see in) part of cover is not seated all the way, gonna take off cover to repair and hope the bad pulley is, and not loose crank end play is the culprit.
I've already order a bunch of parts that needed r&r.
<fingers crossed> don't be a money pit or black hole(even time can't escape)