General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 Wagon LX - quick valve cover gasket question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:27 PM
Question 1991 Wagon LX - quick valve cover gasket question

I think I'm pretty comfortable with what I need to do to replace the valve cover gasket and plug seals on my wagon. I have the part but it's made by Stone, not Fel-pro like most people seem to recommend. The guy at the place I bought it said I don't need anything like Honda bond because its rubber. Is this right? Almost every post I've read on here about this talks about using a little honda bond at the bends of the gasket. How bout the plug seals? Anything I should know there? Sorry for the total novice questions but I've wanted to learn to maintain my cars myself for a while and this old wagon seems like a decent one to learn on.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You may not need an extra sealnt for the gasket... but you don't need to get Honda Bond either. Go back to the auto parts store and look for something like "RTV silicone" or "silicone gasket maker". Apply that to the corners and you should be leak free!

Also, Stone should be fine, if it doesn't leak it's doing it's job!

Old 04-02-2009, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Pay attention to the shape of the upper plug seals. Don't put the new ones in upside-down.

Permatex Ultra Grey is the stuff that's closest to HondaBond.

At the ends, where the gasket goes over the camshaft caps, there's 2 sharp corners at each end. That's where to use the sealant. Just a little bit in each corner.

If you have oil leaking into the spark plug tubes, there's a chance that it's coming from the lower seals, which are like O-rings further down. You have to remove the camshaft bearing caps (along with the valve gear), so that's a bigger job. Maybe leave them alone & only do them if it keeps leaking.