General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1992 Honda Accord Exr tranny slipping

Old 01-24-2007, 12:28 AM
Mechhead
Unregistered
Default 1992 Honda Accord Exr tranny slipping

I have done the searches on this news group and wanted to pass along that my wifes honda is having possible tranny issues. She was driving home and the tranny RPM's started to pick up whileexcellerating up to highway speeds. The rpms finally did go down and the vehicle continued to excelerate to the crusing speed. She also said that its doing this problem is also doing it in the lower speed ranges. She said that it was alot less noticable in these lower rpms. The tranny fluid is red to pink in color with no burnt color. The last fluid change change was two years ago at 50kms.

I was hoping that people here that read this know this problem from experaince and what it could be. What might be the problem? Computer issue or internal tranny issue? She has owned it for three years with no previos transmission problems.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:03 PM
Default RE: 1992 Honda Accord Exr tranny slipping

if its been 2 years since the last tranny fluid change then you more than likely need to go ahead and replace the fluid again. also a possibility is shes depressing the gas pedal down farther causing the tranny to kick up a gear wich in turn causes the RPMs to go higher.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:17 PM
Mechhead
Unregistered

If you read my posting I said that the cars rpm's kick up with no increase in vehicle exceleration. That usually indicates possible transmission problems. Wife is going to drive it untill it becomes more of a issue and then set a time to change the fluid. Its time to change it anyway. Why in the heck did Honda ever design a transmission where you almost have to take the transmission apart to remove the filter? Makes no sence from a engineering stand point.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:19 PM

my apologies on misreading your post. maybe a band starting to go out then? or the torque converter not locking up all the way. they did that because of the low maintenance, better to repeat a 2.5-3 qt. tranny fluid change a couple of times than to mess with a filter and fluid, its meant to not be serviced, the drain bolt has a large magnet on the end of it that catches the potentially damagine metal shavings that can mess up the tranny so its just a case of the filter grabbing the other tiny bits of debris, and those come out with the fluid change.