General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 EXR transmission swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 08:21 AM
92accordman
Unregistered
Default 1992 EXR transmission swap?

Hi guys, my name is Brad and I am new to this group. I currently have a 1992 Accord EX-R sedan with the 2.2 auto. I noticed the other day that when I put the car into drive, it did not actually go right into drive. The revs would increase, but felt like it was slipping. If I put it in any other gear it would do the same, except 2nd gear. If I put it in that gear, it would seem to drive in that gear with no slipping, but would not shiftup or down. If I were to put the car into reverse and drive a few times, and combining turning the car off and back on again, it would then go into drive and work as normal. When the tranny is working, it goes through the gears smoothly and does not slip, so I think that the mechanics are still in good working order.

I checked my fluid and it was down about 1/2 a quart so I topped it up, this is due to a small leak from the transmission seal, which has been present since I purchased the car. Now, I am not quite sure if this slipping problem is a sign of my transmission syncro's starting to go, or if it is a fluid/pressure problem. Since I know that this transmission is hydraulic, pressure seems to be the likely culprit. I am suspecting that the filter may be clogged possibly?

Now as far as the reason for this post, I am contemplating 2 options. First option is to have the filter and fluid changed to hope that it fixes this issue which is intermittent. The second option is that if I find that the tranny is starting to go, is to consider a 5spd swap. I pretty much do all the work myself on my cars as it is, but I have never swapped a auto to manual on a car to date. I know that I can purchase a tranny cheap from the wreckers and rebuilt it for a decent price, but I am not sure if this is a job that I can tackle installing. I know I need the pedal pack, shifter plate, clutch, flywheel, different length cv's, ecu..etc. Is this job going to be too much of a headache and cost? If there is anyone out there that has done this before, let me know what I am getting into. I feel pretty confident that I can do this, but it is a matter of how much frustration and money I will be lookingat. The idea of swapping this car to a 5spd would be nice as I prefermanual over auto. Thanks guys in advance for the help.

Brad