General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1993 Accord EX - Sputtering in 1st/2nd at low speed/rpms

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 10:02 AM
B1ackKn1ght1979
Unregistered
Default 1993 Accord EX - Sputtering in 1st/2nd at low speed/rpms

I have a 1993 Honda Accord EX. 2.2ltr 4cyl. 16valve. Manual Trans. It frequently has an issue when driving in 1st/2nd gear at low speed and low rpms where it sputters/hesitates. I can put the clutch in and rev it and it doesn't have an issue. It seems to do this only under load. When it hesitates it'll do it for a couple seconds then if you push on the accelerator more it will continue to hesitate then all of a sudden take off really fast. It is almost like it isn't getting enough fuel but drives fine for long periods at high speed (70mph or even 55mph). I just changed the fuel filter (with a stock type filter - this was happening before I changed it) and that didn't make a difference. I haven't pulled the plugs yet (will be doing that on Friday or this coming Weekend). I have also had the Master Cylinder and Slave Cylinder for the Clutch changed within the last 2 weeks. I'm not getting any CEL codes (checked on Thursday last week and none came up at all). I go through a full tank of gas several times a week (I drive on average 2k to 3k miles a month) so I know it isn't an actual Gas issue (like old gas). Could be a fuel pump though I think I'd notice this problem in a wider variety of speeds....and it would happen at high speed as well. Oh, another thing I forgot to mention- I did a Cold Air Intake Mod (removed the stock hose and air box and installed a 3" air hose and a High flow filter). I do have a 2" to 3" adapter on the Throttle body and it's sealed real well (clamped down and it's very tight). Let me know if you guys/gals come up with anything. Thanks for your help in advance. -Dan

Old 10-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Default RE: 1993 Accord EX - Sputtering in 1st/2nd at low speed/rpms

Once you understand how spark actually works inside a cylinder under compression, it is easier to understand why you can have a problem like yours, low speed while attempting to accellerate, medium to heavy load will produce low power output.

The initial throttle input draws in much air (lean) while the TPS has not yet caught up with the fuel delivery, it is harder to ignite a lean mixture and your secondary ignition components may very well be leaking externally, spark jumping from plug wire inside the plug well or inside the distributor cap to ground, do at least a secondary tune up and see if it does not clear up. Cap, rotor, plugs and wires.

Holding the throttle open and then getting a burst of power is the fuel injection catching up with your foots input to the computer (much more rich, easier to burn, wider fuel injection pulse width), finally, the TPS is an updated, electronic version of the ol' carberator accellerator pump but not as fast sometimes (with ignition issues involved). Are you having any issues starting cold compared to the recent past?

A lean mixture adds resistance to the cylinder and a rich mixture lowers the resistance until it gets overly rich. The spark will take the path of least resistance and with old worn components, that is usually a leak for spark to jump to ground (not visible or audible sometimes).

Old 10-01-2007, 11:02 AM
B1ackKn1ght1979
Unregistered

Thank you for that. I was kind of think along the same lines.....but needed some one to back it up. I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes. -Dan

Old 10-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

x2 ... spark plugs. Remember, NO BOSCH PLUGS ON HONDAS. NGK's are the best and Denso's are ok also.

Look for wire arc'ing also (Very Common). Also could be a bad coil, but I don't think so ..... most likely bad plugs and/or wires.

If you are going to change the plugs, you should put new wires in also anyway.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Honda's, particularly the 90-93 models, had a low rpm 1800-2000 rpm, hesitation problem that is caused by the EGR. EGR injects EG into 4 ports, and if one or two ports are blocked w/ remaining open, the open ports get too much EG resulting in overlean engine "sag" is way most describe. At 1500-2000 rpm, you try to accelerate, and the car seems to die or sag.

If you've never done EGR cleanout on your car it probably is due. Check DiY section for how-to tips. I tried the link in DIY and it would not respond. If you need it, I have a pdf file I can email. PM me w/ your email address.

good luck