General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 Honda Accord Intermittent Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 07:39 PM
baseball5785
Unregistered
Default 1993 Honda Accord Intermittent Stalling

I have a 1993 Honda Accord 4 door sedan that recently has been stalling. The interesting thing about the car is that after it stalls it will start again after waiting for a couple of minutes. The car will stall either when driving highway speeds or pulling out of a parking space. The engine will shut off and I have to pullover and wait a couple of minutes. The air filter and intake has been cleaned out, the battery and alternator are fine, and the fuel injection system is okay. The only thing I could think of is that something is getting hot and it cause the engine to shut down; but what? I was wondering if anyone new what the problem could be or if they know if Honda has had this problem with the 93 Accord in the past.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Default RE: 1993 Honda Accord Intermittent Stalling

have you checked your distributor?? if not then check it..check the distributor cap condition,spark plug wires..

Old 08-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 1993 Honda Accord Intermittent Stalling

Main Fuel Relay (MFR) or Fuel pump are likely suspects.

When no-start occurs listen carefully forthe fuel pump to come on when keyswitch is turned to ON position. It should run for 2 secs or so and turn off. If nothing, the MFR is likely fault.

If fuel pump runs correctly in above, check for fuel pressure by cracking the fuel rail pressure check port bolt or banjo bolt at end of rail. You should get a big spray of fuel (use rag to contain). If nothing or dribble of fuel, fuel pump is not up to the job, or fuel filter is intermittently blocking (unlikely).

If both of above are OK, then ignition is almost certainly the problem. Check for spark when no-start is present w/ timing light (flashes indicate spark is generated) or spark plug grounded to engine. No spark could be bad coil, bad ignitor, or possibly intermittent keyswitch contacts. Blk/Yellow wire at distributor connector should supply 12V w/ keyswitch ON.

good luck