General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Accord EX Intermittent Stalling / D4 Light Flash Problem SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Default 95 Accord EX Intermittent Stalling / D4 Light Flash Problem SOLVED

Since my last post on this subject several weeks back, I received several emails asking what symptoms I was having with my 95 Accord Ex that lead me to the ECU Problem I found.

My car has 194K and just started cutting out while driving. It was a sporatic/ intermittent problem where the car dash lights would all go out, no CEL, only the Batt and Oil light ON. After stalling it would not like to restart it some time had passed, maybe hours or overnight. One time it started flashing the D4 light - that was the last straw!

First I thought it was a bad ignition switch but I had just replaced it a year prior. All power checks looked good. Then my thoughts went to the Main Relay and since I had an extra I tried that but it also did not fix the prob.
It was then improperly diagnosis with a bad Dizzy by a tech. Wrong again. (and even replaced the dizzy twice)
Since this problem rarely repeated itself I suspected the ECU. So I decided to remove the ECU, no big effort, and do a "Visual Check" of all the circuits with a bight light, magnifying glass and GENTLE Touch. (NO hammers, SawsAll or blasting caps needed!). Also Remember to Disconnect your Neg Battery before doing any of this.
I was looking for anything suspect like burned resistors or solder joints and the like.

The pic shows what I found. A split capacitor. Replaced ECU car runs great.

Lesson Learned.

I am not saying that this will solve all problems with these symptoms but before you start shot-gunning parts you might want to take a look at the ECU and see what you have especially if your Honda has high miles or age.

Remember - The Cost to do this is ZERO and the time is less that 30 minutes.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Nice post.

I had a similar experience, however a careful examination of the ECU disclosed no visually damaged parts. A used ECU fixed problem, however this one failed also and req'd replacement and again I could not find any defective parts.

good luck