General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 Honda Accord SE

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Default 1993 Honda Accord SE

Greetings,

I have a 1993 Honda Accord SE coupe, with a no start problem.

The car runs great most of the time but over the last year or so I have noticed sometimes when it rains, or if I go put gas in the car it will start and die. If I give it a few minutes it will start again and run fine.

This seemed to be a problem that would not continue so long to make the car in need of repairs, meaning it would usually start after I just let it sit for a few minutes before trying again.

However, a few days ago I was sitting at a stoplight after some light in town driving and the car died while in d4, (its an automatic tranny). I attempted shifting into park turn the key and taking it out, putting it back in and starting again, it would turn over "ta ta ta ta ta ta" but not start. I was able to get the car off the road and towed.

The car has nearly a full tank of gas, the dash lights are getting electricity and the battery does not seem to be the problem. After going and trying to start the car again tonight, I could smell gas after giving it a few tries, all I get is the starter turning over but not catching, no start still.

I replaced the ignition coil and distributor with parts through Honda dealer and still same thing. When the car was purchased a few years ago it did the same thing, ended up being the fuel regulator.

Before jumping in and spending 2-300 bucks on a fuel regulator and labor, any ideas on if this could be a main relay problem, or something else I may be overlooking?

Any good ways to test? I don't have a way to test the fuel pressure, is it worth just trying to replace the fuel regulator again>?

Thanks.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Test for spark at the plugs (techauto dot awardspace dot com / ignition). If that checks out then test the fuel system (not just replace the regualtor). I can't find the link to that test right now, as soon as I find what I did with it I will post...or someone else will.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Test for spark at the plugs (techauto dot awardspace dot com / ignition). If that checks out then test the fuel system (not just replace the regualtor). I can't find the link to that test right now, as soon as I find what I did with it I will post...or someone else will.
Thanks for the suggestion, I figured I would check back and post my solution for any others who may have encountered this problem, or perhaps will in the future.

It turned out to be a bad distributor, I can't remember what it costed me to repair it, but it was fairly reasonable.

Running fine again, cb7 pushing forward.