General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 Accord Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 08:14 PM
george3405
Unregistered
Default 1994 Accord Starting problem

Hey,
I posted this question in the end of another thread, but I think I posted it in the wrong place so here goes. My friend's daughter has a '94 Accord and it was having the problem, discussed in this forum, of when you turn the key to start it starts and in 1 second or less dies. Then you have to turn the key to off and back to start to get the engine to start and run for 1 second. If you try starting the engine from on it won't start (will crank). Giggling the wire harness going to the main relay used to work, but no more. They replaced the main relay, as their mechanic suggested. Didn't do any good. I replaced the electronic part of the ignition switch for them and it started and ran perfectly for about a day or two and then started the same problem again. Does the harness from the ignition switch need to be changed? If so how do you do it? I am concerned how to run it down to under the dash. This car has not, in the month or two she's owned it, ever stopped running while driving, as did others on this forum. Any help is appreciated ASAP, as this is her car to get to work, so hoping to get it running tomorrow. Thanks, george3405

Old 12-07-2009, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator

It does sound like and ignition switch problem, but you already replaced it.

Did you check for any error codes stored on the ECU? See: http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

Also, you can download a 94 shop manual from the spoon site I posted in the Online Manuals thread in the DIY section.

As for replacing the wire harness, just replace the old one starting at one plug and work backwards by securing the new harness the same way the old one was in there.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:15 AM
george3405
Unregistered

This morning went to talk to the Honda Dealer and they suggested to try the key wiggle test (when in cranking position, try to turn key back ever so slightly to stop starter, but keep engine running). However, when I went out to the car (temp. here about 48 degrees), it started up just fine and did every time I tried it. Wiggled the key around and it did not affect anyrhing. Now I'm really confused. Add to this that the distributor looks to have been replaced very recently. Hmmm, maybe that's why the "Little Old Lady" ditched this gem. Any additional ideas/help is greatly appreciated. George3405

Old 12-09-2009, 04:17 PM

hrmm... so if you have any oil blow by.. this could be a problem...

but couldnt that be cured by running an oil catch tank?

Old 02-25-2011, 08:28 PM

I have this problem as well. Anyone find a solution?