General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 accord wont start. Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Default 1994 accord wont start. Need help!

So the engine cranks over just fine. Engine doesnt fire at all. I crank it for 15-20 sec at a time and it never fires even once. So I replaced the fuel filter... started just fine. 2 weeks later wont start again. So i replaced the fuel pump... started just fine. Another week goes by wont start again. Checked and gapped all 4 plugs and every single one is firing with no problem. The car wont start for a day or two, then Ill try it and it will randomly start for no reason. Occasionally it while cranking it the engine will be trying to start (it has a lumpy idle of like 300 rpm) like its not running on all cylinders or something. So the engines running at very low rpm while the starter is aiding in keeping it there. As soon as I let go of the starter the engine will continue to lump and struggle at a few hundred RPM for a like 3 or 4 seconds before dieing. Im so confused. Please Help!

Old 02-08-2011, 02:03 PM

Have you checked to see if the injectors are being energized? Can you hear the fuel pump running at all when you try to start it?

Old 02-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Two things to check:

First, listen carefully when you turn the keyswitch to On. You should hear a soft click from under the dash on driver's side and fuel pump in the tank run for 2-3 secs. It must be quiet and everything off to hear the sounds.

If you hear these sounds, the fuel pump is running and fuel pressure is likely OK. If you don't hear any sounds, the main fuel relay may be your problem.

If you hear the sounds fine, every time you turn keyswitch from Off-On, then problem is more likely ignition related.

Notice whether the Check Engine, Oil and Alt Lights come on when you turn keyswitch to On. If the lights don't come on, the ignition switch assembly is likely faulty.

If you have the lights and no-start, the problem is related to no-spark or poor spark, despite your tests.

good luck

Old 02-10-2011, 10:29 AM

I can hear the fuel pump run. And even disconnected the filter, turned the key on and watch it pump fuel out. My next step is to listen to the injectors. But... as of right now its running fine. So I have to wait for it to decide not to work again. Very frustrating. Thanks for the advice.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Both fuel supply and ignition can be intermittent. Hearing fuel pump now only means that problem is not present. It's when no-start is presented that you have to investigate. Intermittents are frustrating and require lots of patience.

good luck

Old 02-25-2011, 09:06 PM

I have the exact problem. Any help?