General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 Honda Accord Ex clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Default 1994 Honda Accord Ex clutch issues

I am a newbie to this site and cars as well which is why I am asking for help with this particular issue. The other day I was driving and as I switched from 1st to 2nd gear my clutch pedal goes to the floor and wouldn't come back up unless I pulled it up by hand. I checked the reservoir and discovered it was completely empty. I filled it back up and pumped the clutch trying to get fluid in the lines with no luck. I was hoping someone could explain to me how to bleed the clutch.
Thanks,
AccordKid

Old 10-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

You are dealing with two problems.

1. Your fluid leaked, so you need to find the leak and repair it. Check the master and slave cylinder. Pull the boot back on the slave cylinder to see if fluid is in there. On the master, look inside the car where the push-rod from the clutch pedal goes into the master on the firewall. The carpet would be stained brown/black under it.

2. Bleeding is pretty simple, but you will need someone to help you. Fill the master cylinder reservoir. Open the bleeder valve on the slave and attach a clear hose to catch the fluid. Have you friend push the clutch to the floor and hold it there. Close the bleeder valve. Have your friend release the clutch pedal (they might have to pull the pedal up). Check the reservoir and fill up when necessary. Repeat until not air bubbles come out of the bleeder valve.

One note: If the clear hose doesn't seal perfectly, the air bubbles coming through the hose can be from the seal between the hose and bleeder valve, so keep an eye on the tip of the bleeder valve for the air bubbles.