General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A/C wheel issue, can just replace wheel?

Old 10-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Default A/C wheel issue, can just replace wheel?

Hi, i have a 95accord that i was about to toss away but im thinking of just fixing it up cuz it may be cheaper then buying a new car.

One issue it has is the Timing belt / which passes around the ac, the ac wheel is breaking, Meaning when the wheel breaks it will break the timing belt.

I have heard that instead of putting in a new AC unit, there are just wheels that you can get for the belt to go around, or it is possible to buy a timing belt for a 95 accord 4cyl that excludes the AC.

I have searched online but was unable to find a shorter timing belt, or a simple (wheel) for which the belt can pass around.

does anyone know of how this can be done without needing to actually get a new ac?

Last edited by cenkaetaya; 10-25-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You have timing belt and AC accessory belt mixed.

The timing belt is under the timing belt cover and not visible w/o removing the timing belt cover.

The AC accessory belt can be removed if compressor clutch or compressor is damaged. A shorter belt can be substituted to drive the alternator. You ask parts counter for alternator accessory belt w/o AC.

good luck

Old 10-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, first off the Timing Belt is inside the cover so you can not see it from just looking under the hood.

You're, I think, looking at doing an "AC Delete". By-pass the ac compressor. couple of things to research, too dark right now to go out...sorry. Is there enough room for the belt to go passed the ac compressor? If not you might have to remove the ac compressor for clearance. Then you'll need a shorter belt, see if the DX came w/o ac. If not, "string" it. Take a peice of string and loop it around the pullies to get a rough measurement, then a trip or two to a good parts store should have you set up.

EDIT: I see "Texas" posted as I was tyoing.....sorry.