General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 Honda Accord EX Coupe Fuel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Default 1994 Honda Accord EX Coupe Fuel Problem

Hi guys,

I am a lurker around this forum and usually don't post anything (just check my # of posts). Unfortunately, my first post is going to be about a problem that has just risen up in my car. The car's been extremely reliable to me and is a blast to drive (yeah...even though it's stock). But this problem, might not be easily solved.

To beging with, the car is a 1994 Honda Accord EX Coupe, it's an auto, and has about 150k on it. The cars been maticulously taken care of by me and the previous owner, full dealership maint.

Now the problem, I checked the CEL code by doing the old paper clip trick and found the code to be the following :

43 Fuel Supply System defective or malfunctioning fuel supply system

The car runs fine, clean injectors, no fuel leaks or weird smell, and MPG is about 24 average in all city driving, the only problem I can think of is the fact that the Low Gas Light never ever comes on and the gas gauge is extremely unreliable, as in, the car reads empty even where there is about 3-4 gallons left in the tank. I know my year accord has the problem with the gas guage not showing full after filling up, but mine doesn't do this. So with this code, I have no clue what the problem could be? Is it the fuel pump? injectors? or a relay unit in the fuel tank itself?

Thank You

1994 Honda Accord EX Coupe AUTO (150k miles)

Old 12-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1994 Honda Accord EX Coupe Fuel Problem

The code 43 infro in the shop manual says to reset the ECU and see if it returns. You basically remove the 7.5 amp radio fuse in underhood box for a minute. I would make sure that the connection to the O2 sensor is secure. It is before the catalytic converter on the exhaust.

The testing for a code 43 has some electrical tests for the wiring to the oxygen sensor/ECU. Either the wiring is screwed up or the O2 sensor is bad (the other posibility is the ECU, but that is very unlikely).

There is a 94 shop manual in pdf form via the thread in the DIY section ACC 5th Gen.... The error CEL codes are in the fuel/emissions section and page 11-20 has a table of contents of where the testing procedures are found for each DTC.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:52 PM

Hi,

Thank you PAhonda for the fast reply, I really appreciate it. I will try removing the fuse and resetting the ECU and see if it returns. I have checked the O2 Sensors visually when I took the car to the shop to have the heat shield rattle fixed. If it returns (hope not), what are the symptoms of a failing O2 Sensor? I mean I know the drop in MPG and increase in emmisions, anything else?

One more thing, the car passed the Emission Test for Illinois easily...

Thank you again for the information, I really appreciate it.

habeeb89
1994 Honda Accord EX Coupe AUTO

Old 12-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Gas mileage would be poor and the car probably would not accelerate properly. My car started to buck when accelerating, and I had no check engine light on. Changing the O2 sensor fixed that problem.

I would make sure that the electrical connection is clean and maybe put some dielectric grease in there. Check the wire for any damage, since you had some work done on the heatshield nearby.