General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 honda accord ex new air bags in help

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Default 1994 honda accord ex new air bags in help

Okay my dear son was in a fender bender hes okay! However, the air bags both deployed. We happened to find a 1995 LX with air bags and they are now installed fit perfectly in our 1994 EX same color even. Do we need a real cable for the drivers side air bag on this year. I was told on newer models they had them but unsure for this year. Also, anyone know how to find someone that will clear the codes so the newly installed air bags will be deployed in the case of an unfortunate event? The dealership wanted somewhere around 2k for the air bags and to clear the codes. Obviously they will not touch the car now or clear the codes since they did not install the newly replaced air bags I see a lot of places like my air bags and safety ect that would not have repaired the old air bags only if the car was 1995 and newer not 1994....so by the grace of God found these air bags undeployed at pic a part and had them installed. I only have found places in Northern California and we are in Southern Calfornia. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Your bags fit because Accords from 94 through 97 are of the same generation, and parts are generally interchangable between them. I'm not sure what you're referring to with real cable.. There is a good video on how to reset the light here:

Reset it, but you may have more to do than just the airbags. Did whoever replaced the bags look at the sensors? The accident could've easily damaged them. After you do the reset if the light comes back on you can diagnose the issue yourself by doing some research and reading the codes. This video shows a little of this too.

Last edited by deanlampe; 10-17-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by deanlampe
Your bags fit because Accords from 94 through 97 are of the same generation, and parts are generally interchangable between them. I'm not sure what you're referring to with real cable.. There is a good video on how to reset the light here:

Honda/Acura SRS Light Reset 1994-1998 - YouTube

Reset it, but you may have more to do than just the airbags. Did whoever replaced the bags look at the sensors? The accident could've easily damaged them. After you do the reset if the light comes back on you can diagnose the issue yourself by doing some research and reading the codes. This video shows a little of this too.
Not exactly.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

There are differences even within the 5th generation Accords.

Although the driver's airbag and passenger airbag for the 1994 and 1995 Accords are the same, the SRS units and the SRS main wire harness are different between the 1994 and 1995 Accord.

Both 1994 and 1995 SRS require the steering wheel cable reel assembly, this part is the same.

The 1994 Accord does not have the SRS Memory Erase Signal (MES) Connector like the 1995 Accord.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

A self-diagnosis circuit is built into the SRS unit; when the ignition is turned to ON, the SRS indicator light should turn on and then go off after about 6 seconds.

If the SRS indicator light does not even come on, or does not goes off after six seconds, or if it comes on during driving, there is a fault in the system.

There is no DIY reset. The dealer would use a special test harness to find the fault.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by redbull-1
A self-diagnosis circuit is built into the SRS unit; when the ignition is turned to ON, the SRS indicator light should turn on and then go off after about 6 seconds.

If the SRS indicator light does not even come on, or does not goes off after six seconds, or if it comes on during driving, there is a fault in the system.

There is no DIY reset. The dealer would use a special test harness to find the fault.
Thanks for the corrections Redbull, I don't want to mislead anyone. So the jumper reset technique illustrated in the video only works on 94's, or is there a difference with the Accord layout? I'm failing to comprehend your assertion when examining the video above. This would be really good info for me and the community.

Thanks Redbull!

Old 10-18-2013, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by deanlampe
Thanks for the corrections Redbull, I don't want to mislead anyone. So the jumper reset technique illustrated in the video only works on 94's, or is there a difference with the Accord layout? I'm failing to comprehend your assertion when examining the video above. This would be really good info for me and the community.

Thanks Redbull!
That video is not applicable to the 94.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

I didn't know that this was missing in the 94 accord. This procedure is in that shop manual for the 94 accord that covers US and non-US accords.

To the original poster. The common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum has a link for online shop manuals. The honda-tech link has a 94 shop manual that you should download. It is worth the time to check if you have that connector shown in the video. On my 95 accord, it was close to that plastic piece that was removed in the video, below that change holder. How I sat in my car, it was close to my left knee.

If you find that connector, or not, please let us know and do the reset procedure if you do find it.

Good luck.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

I have more specific and detailed Honda electrical circuit diagrams than what is shown in those service manuals that people have posted for free downloads.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

If you compare these two diagrams, it shows they are not the same for a 94 vs. a 95 Accord.

Last edited by redbull-1; 10-23-2013 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Removed images