General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'96 Accord V6 front fender bender air bags popped, need help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 12:57 AM
DT98
Unregistered
Default '96 Accord V6 front fender bender air bags popped, need help please

Ok, here we go. I helped my father get this '96 Accord V6 a few years ago. A couple of weeks ago, Pa had a minor accident and rear ended the car in front of him. The air bags deploy. He was the only one in the car. The passenger side bag breaks the windshield, the driver side air bag hits him on the left ear. I think his head was turned a bit to the right. Now he cannot hear out of his left ear and it's been a month.
Anyway, the car is being fixed by a friend of mine who does body work at home when he is not working at his regular job in a tractor trailer body shop.
We're all done but air bags. My Dad is insistant that the air bags not be replaced. He hates them and said he will pay to NOT put them back in. So...., I don't think this is an issue in Tenn as long as the car passes emissions and you wear a seat belt.
My question(s)
Is is possible to turn off the SRS dash light after the bags have deployed and bags are not being replaced?
How hard to pull the SRS bulb or indicator light wiring?
I read where someone said to drill a very small hole through the dash into the bulb, I'd rather not do that.
I'm an average wrench, I found on the bb how to remove and clean the tranny solnoids, and I do brake pad replacement, oil changes, etc..
Is there anyway to get this light out and if the SRS light is extinguished, will it cause the check engine light to come on since the bags deployed?
Will the SRS computer affect the running of the car if bags are not replaced. The car was very drivable after the minor bender and ran well.

Thanks for any and all help. :-)
DT

Old 02-01-2006, 02:57 AM
Default RE: '96 Accord V6 front fender bender air bags popped, need help please

I would replace them, they have been reports of owners that haven't replaced them sold the car, new owner in accident, guess what no air bag and a lawsuit big time. It make come back and haunt you later down the line somewhere.

It's better to be safe than sorry.

Old 02-01-2006, 05:26 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

hell yea you need to replace those airbags. they are meant to save you life and dammit they will. if one blows in your face though you are gonna be sorry. that why i always say....dont be a late braker.....leave plenty of room between you and the car in front of you. hes lucky it didnt break his freagin nose. if you know your going to head on something, throw up your arms in front of you if you can, it will help shield you from the airbag. those of you with very new cars... the airbag tech now is great.

ok there is no reason to turn off the SRS light you cant hide a fat rip in the pass side dash or in the steering wheel. it doesnt matter if that light is lit up. it wont affect the drivability of the car or emissions...and thats the last thing you want to do is drill a hole through your dash. taking the dash off is also a bitch, trust me you dont want go there either. just fix it and tell him next time not to run into people. that accord probably stops from 60 in under 120 feet.

Old 02-01-2006, 08:55 PM

At the dealer I work at we had a customer with a Civic that didn't replace his airbags and just put a piece of electrical tape over the light on the instrument cluster. Be aware though, that you may not be able to sell the car due to a safety device being removed. If you can sell it in your state you should make sure the purchaser is aware that there are no airbags in the car.

Do not put your arms in front of you if your airbags are going to deploy. This can brake your hands or wrists and posibly hit yourself in your face. His hearing is probably gone due to the loud noise that the airbag makes when it deploys. My friends hearing was bad for a couple of weaks after his accident and he hit his airbag straight on.

Old 02-02-2006, 01:26 AM
DT98
Unregistered

Thanks everyone,

I will put a piece of tape or something over the SRS dash light. Please note, we would never sell the car without telling there were no airbags. My Dad just does not want any airbags. Sooo..... Regardless, you will be able to tell the bags are not there. We are going to make a dash tray where the passenger bag was and hot glue the cover back together on the steering wheel. I found a place on the net to buy new airbag covers. REal nice but $85 each including paint. They emboss into the cover "no airbag inside" or something like that so everyone knows the cover is cosmetic only.
REgards and thanks...

Old 09-15-2009, 01:24 AM

so what is the site that you went to that has the covers, I need some for my 97 accord lx