General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 Honda Accord EX Problem electrical or mechanical? Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Default 1994 Honda Accord EX Problem electrical or mechanical? Please help!

Okay so I have an unique story to share with all you guys and hopefully this problem will be solved!

Ever since I bought the accord from the seller, I have been having these problems and I do not know if it is electrical or the motor parts or connections, etc. I bought the car for 2750 cause I haggled it from 4000, but seriously the seller was hiding all the "ghetto" parts to it and the problems it came with it. Seriously, the front bumper was damaged, and the parts to install the bumper was not from factory parts cause obviously he took it out and forgot which parts came back with it. Sorry I went off tangent but I am just a little pissed that he did this to me.

Okay, after buying the car, once in a while the car would not start. It never cranked when starting it, you would just hit the clutch and turn it and then you hear a click, but the car won't start. All the lights were still on while starting the car too. This problem was persistent and so I tried to see what was wrong with it. Before replacing my starter, every time the problem occurred, I had to push start it (FTW) . I asked a couple of my friends what were some possible problems and we agreed that it was the starter causing this. So I replaced the starter from Advanced Auto Parts in which the starter was refurbished and for around 200$. After replacing the starter, the accord "seem" fine until it started doing the same thing after a week. So I have been ignoring this since the past 6 months because every time this happened I would just push start it by myself which is a REAL pain in the ***.

Not until then during this summer, my car would suddenly start to die off and then turn back on. When it died off all my gauges were off and then it would turn back on. While this is off, giving it gas does nothing and not until it "suddenly" turns back on that I can start driving again. Then it really did die on me in the middle of the road. Only when I held in the ignition and held the key in there, the car would work. When I would let go of the ignition, the car would die. So, in order to park my car at some place, I had to multitask. I had to hold the key in the on position where you would start the car and I had to put it in gear and drive WHILE holding the key on the ON switch to turn on the engine. Then what I had to do to switch gears is to hit the clutch and let go of the ignition in order to steer then I had to QUICKLY turn on back the engine on and hold the key in there in order to give it gas and drive. THANK GOD I was close to a neighborhood to park because I was afraid I might be doing something bad by turning on the engine and holding it there (like hurting the starter or something) This really scared me and embarrassing. So I decided to drive to a mechanic to see what was the problem. ONLY when the car died on me again while driving I had to get my car towed and have my friend drive me there.

I found out that the mechanic told me that my ignition switch went bad and the connection was not constant and so that it why my engine died while driving and then when the connection was right at that time the car would work. So I had to buy a new ignition switch which was 150$. The mechanic put in the new ignition switch and the car was "fine." This lasted for three weeks in the summer and the accord is doing this to me again ! Not that it dies, but it is doing the same thing from the beginning which is that it would not start at all once in a while. The gauges would stay on after turning the key to start the engine. You would hear a click and I am not sure it is the click from the ignition because you can't even hear it outside. Only when you are inside the accord you would hear the click because you would be the one turning it ! I ALWAYS have to push start it and then it would be fine sometimes to start it again manually. PLEASE HELP ME. I love the 1994-1995 honda accords, BUT this is TOO much. This has happened to for two years straight. I replaced the starter about a year and half ago and replaced the ignition switch last summer! I am getting tired of it and I might just sell this car and buy a new accord...Even though I bought new headlights for it and got HIDS for it too.

I own a 1994 honda accord EX coupe. Manual tranny.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

From your description, a bad starter seems most likely even though it is a replacement.

Before replacing starter, check your battery cables for clean, tight connections. Check entire length of battery cables for possible damage (high resistance). Check battery for good voltage. Low voltage will cause a starter to just click.

good luck

Old 10-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

And this last is a reach.....is the clutch switch good? The newer ones have a "lock out" on the clutch pedal...meaning if the car thinks the clutch is not in it will not start. again just another idea...check the voltage at the starter...both the small wire, solenoid and the big wire.

Last edited by poorman212; 10-18-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:59 AM

It sounds like phr3shaccord's ignition switch was a separate problem. And his original gripe about not starting with the clutch engaged has never been properly corrected. I say this because I am having the exact same problem with my '94 Accord. The problem presents itself ONLY during damp/cooler weather. I hear a relay being made when I press in the clutch. Headlights, fans, radio, etc. are getting power. But the starter doesn't seem to be getting power. Anybody else have an idea?

Old 12-27-2010, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Originally Posted by speedmccoy
It sounds like phr3shaccord's ignition switch was a separate problem. And his original gripe about not starting with the clutch engaged has never been properly corrected. I say this because I am having the exact same problem with my '94 Accord. The problem presents itself ONLY during damp/cooler weather. I hear a relay being made when I press in the clutch. Headlights, fans, radio, etc. are getting power. But the starter doesn't seem to be getting power. Anybody else have an idea?
There is a starter cut relay for the manual transmission. Suggest checking for 12V to the solenoid blk/wht wire when ignition switch is turned to Start. If you're sure the starter cut relay is closing (clicking) then relay contacts are not closing. I would check that clutch interlock switch is passing 12V when clutch is pressed.

Other possibility is faulty ignition switch assembly. A poor swich might cause the same intermittent symptoms.

good luck

Old 10-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Default Back to the problem

Alright guys. It has been quite a while before I got back to this. Well the problem still presents itself.

I replaced the main relay, the distributor cap and rotor, replaced the battery connections, new batteries, and still the motor does not start.

I am thinking it might be a clutch connection to start or its the connections somewhere along the starter, distributor, spark plugs, etc.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if you are sure that the battery, cables and cable ends are all clean and tight,,,,,,,chk the voltage at stater solenoid,, get a volt meter have someone crank the car and see what voltage you get at starter solenoid wire ( black/white ? ),, if all that is ok,,

have someone try to start the car,, you get a big screwdriver or metal pipe, when the engine clicks hit the starter ,, if it starts you got a bad starter ,,,

And yes,, the ign switch was a total different issue

Last edited by deserthonda; 10-18-2011 at 12:02 PM.