General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1995 Accord LX 5sp makes ticking sound

Old 03-06-2013, 08:52 PM
Default 1995 Accord LX 5sp makes ticking sound

I havent had to log in here in a while, but my Accord is doing something odd after I warm it up and get on the highway in the morning.

After a few miles Ill hear a ticking sound. At first I thought it was a wheel bearing, but then I noticed if I cut back on the gas pedal it goes away.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ticking-53407/

In this other thread I noticed it could be a valve issue and I really wish its something easy to fix instead.

I did have my timing belt replaced and water pump in June 2011. Ive put about 15k miles on the car since then. The vehicle got used very little in 2012, though, and sat for long periods.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, I really like my Honda - I just wish it got slightly better gas mileage (and not doing the mystery ticking).

Old 03-06-2013, 11:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

both my '93 (240,000 and going strong w/ son) and my '92 (210,000+)
have a clicking noise; does change / go away with change in throttle.
I just keep oil in it and haven't worried about it.
Car works fine for me ...

But in my cars I hear it only at slow speeds.
Too many other noises at highway speeds for me.

Hope you figure it out and tell us (me) ...

Old 03-07-2013, 01:38 AM

Most hondas as they get older develope a ticking sound, but if ur just noticing then it might be something else.
Valve tap can be adjusted fairly easily, but u dont seem to mention where the sound is coming from. First thing that popped in my head was a cv joint, the axle. Theres a rubber boot filled with grease around the joint and when it cracks/dirt gets in, the joint wears and ticks until it snaps.

Try to locate the sound to narrow the possibilities

Old 03-07-2013, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

You can also check axle vs. engine by cruising along at a condition when you can hear the sound. Shift into a different gear. Does the sound change speed?

Old 03-07-2013, 08:42 PM

Folks I appreciate the thoughts and ill examine it in better detail asap.

I realize im being pretty vague about this issue in the car, its a tough one to describe. I was thinking possibly CV axle or wheel bearing until I noticed that at highway speed of 70-75 after about 6 miles down the road it starts.

If I am pressing very lightly on the gas it will cut back to just barely there, and when I open it up the sound will get worse. I wonder if its a vac hose or something weird.

I am off Saturday so I guess I will have time then to nose around under the hood and give a look/listen.

Also, this issue goes away after the car runs for 20 miles or so to work, and then sits for an hour or two. I dont recall hearing it on my drive home, either. So its a puzzler..for now.

I really like my Honda and while it has its quirks ( aka broken parts that I want fixed) I would like to keep it for a long while.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:41 PM

when you go to check eliminate all you can. make sure the ac/heat is off, warm he engine completely, and see if u can locate where the noise is coming from.

"just a thought, at 70-75mph ur doing a certain rpm, so u can duplicate it in 1st gear at the same rpms" hondas do develope a tick. if you hear it at a certain rpm whether its 1st gear or 5th gear, then its most likely that honda ticking

it could be the piston slap from 2 big of a gap but that normally goes away when warm so thats probably not a thought.

gl and best of luck

Old 03-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

in my experience bad CV joints show up as clicking sounds on low speed turns, like in a parking lot.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:27 PM

Ok I was on the highway going to work today, 70mph or so. I could hear the sound and it would at times get a lot noisier than just a click or tap.

I took the car out of gear while cruising and gave the engine some gas. No sound from the engine other than a nice rev like usual.

So I guess I am leaning toward drivetrain/tranny issues. I can take the car somewhere and try running in circles in a parking lot to see if I hear any clicks..

Ill have to have the mechanics that did my timing belt look under it and if my CVs are torn up. If so - and this if of course preferable compared to transmission problems - then I'll order some new CVs online and have them put on (I dont have the tools to do that one myself, no way).

I wonder if its the CV boot flappin around lol...