General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1996 4 Door F22 - A/C Bypass Belt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 02:00 PM
Question 1996 4 Door F22 - A/C Bypass Belt?

Bought the car two months ago as a beater for $500. Belt always squeaked a little on startup, didn't think too much of it. Got it home, didn't start it for a few weeks. Just jumped it, belt is screaming and caught on fire because the compressor is frozen. Don't want to go to a shop and get the refrigerant sucked out of it and pay for all that, its going to be winter anyways. I'm just looking to see if anyone knows the size of a smaller belt that can bypass it completely for the time being.

Old 10-06-2019, 02:14 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Chaoz
Bought the car two months ago as a beater for $500. Belt always squeaked a little on startup, didn't think too much of it. Got it home, didn't start it for a few weeks. Just jumped it, belt is screaming and caught on fire because the compressor is frozen. Don't want to go to a shop and get the refrigerant sucked out of it and pay for all that, its going to be winter anyways. I'm just looking to see if anyone knows the size of a smaller belt that can bypass it completely for the time being.
You might want to have a chat with the guy behind the counter at your FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store), as he can look up what your old belt length should be, and help you find something 10-12 inches shorter (maybe more). That's the best I can I do. Sorry.
Also keep in mind the power steering belt is separate.

Last edited by The Toecutter; 10-06-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Try unplugging the electrical connector to the compressor. The pulley should spin freely without the clutch being energized.

As mentioned previously, you may be able to get a smaller belt as long as the compressor pulley is not in the way. You should be able to remove the compressor pulley without having to discharge the a/c system.

Old 10-06-2019, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Try unplugging the electrical connector to the compressor. The pulley should spin freely without the clutch being energized.

As mentioned previously, you may be able to get a smaller belt as long as the compressor pulley is not in the way. You should be able to remove the compressor pulley without having to discharge the a/c system.
Yeah looks like I'm going to need to do some trial and error with belts. Unplugged the compressor and the belt was still screaming and smoking. I'm going to pull the alternator and take off the pulley for the A/C tomorrow and just start getting belts. I'll tell when I get one that fits.

Old 10-06-2019, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Go to the rockauto site and it will show alternator belts without A/C, made by various makers. Some even have belt length info.

Old 10-06-2019, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Go to the rockauto site and it will show alternator belts without A/C, made by various makers. Some even have belt length info.
Didn't even think of that. There is a few. I'll order one from there and see how it goes.

Old 10-06-2019, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

You can even check locally for a belt; for example, the Rockauto info. link to the Bando belt show some cross interchangeable belt numbers (which can be googled) under the Bando number. The belt length is shown in the link too.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...R6hAYvqWZmA%3D

Old 10-06-2019, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
You can even check locally for a belt; for example, the Rockauto info. link to the Bando belt show some cross interchangeable belt numbers (which can be googled) under the Bando number. The belt length is shown in the link too.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...R6hAYvqWZmA%3D
They all point to being 37 in or 37 1/8th. Bought one off ebay for $11. Didn't need it immediately, the car can sit for a few days.