General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Fans - Independent of eachother?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Default 1996 Fans - Independent of eachother?

Hi guys,

I am hoping that someone can give me an answer on this one, from personal experience. I have been reading some mixed reports.

My 1996 Accord LX is overheating while idling. The smaller of the 2 fans on the radiator does not run while the larger runs. From what I have read, the smaller is the condensor fan and should only run if the AC is on. However, I used to see it on often, and I NEVER use the AC. My car has been overheating, and I have not been seeing the smaller fan running. It looks like it wants to spin, but doesnt (kindof rattles, vibrates).

I shorted the plug that is connected to the thermostat with a paperclip and only the larger fan turns on. I am hoping to replace the smaller fan and solve my problem, however, I need to be sure that the smaller fan IS definetly supposed to be coming on. Some people say that my cars generations fans are NOT independent of eachother and should be spinning together, some people say that the condensor fan only spins when the AC is on, etc.

Has anyone personally experienced this, or even better, has anyone ever jumped the thermoswitch on a 1996 and seen which fans spin??

ANY help is appreciated..even if I am completely wrong any someone has other advice.

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-03-2010, 12:21 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

They both come on with my 1995 Accord. If it overheats at an idle you are not getting enough air flow through the radiator which is either the fan or the radiator is caked with something usually. I would inspect the condenser side of the Radiator. My 95 overheated at every stop with a two year old rad and the condenser side was caked with some organic stuff. I was shocked that was all it was. I am assuming you the checked the basics like coolant level.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:50 AM

thanks for your help. yea the fluid levels are normal. I will check for buildup, and i think im going to go get that fan today. thanks again

Old 08-03-2010, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Unplug the wiring for the fan motor (the one that doesn't spin). Use jumper wires directly from the battery to see if it works.

I think they both are supposed to run together with the AC compressor.

Both supposed to run together when the engine is running (switched by the fan switch in the thermostat housing back near the firewall).

Only one runs after the engine is turned off, switched by the fan switch at the UPPER radiator hose.

Last edited by JimBlake; 08-03-2010 at 09:12 AM.