General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Accord SE Window Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:01 AM
Default 1997 Accord SE Window Problems

New member and need some help PLEASE. My daughter "just" purchased her first car. 97 Accord SE, 4-door, 2.2 liter with 208,XXX miles. Very clean car inside and out and service records show the car has been mechanically maintained.

The day after she bought the car the drivers side "front" window went down but would not come up. I called a local auto shop and they said the motor/regulator went out. Seemed odd to me since the window went down and I could hear the motor "click" but I went ahead and purchased a new one. I R&R'd the motor/regulator and had the same result. I figured it had to be the switch so purchased/installed a new one and the window worked. I reinstalled the old motor/regulator and took the new one back for a refund. Everything worked fine for 2 days and now it doesn't work again. Window will roll down, come up a couple inches and stop. It will go back down but only come up a couple inches. Sometimes you can hear an intermittent clicking without the switch engaged.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to provide plenty of details. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

First thing to do is be sure the run channel is silicone lubed, the motor will stall from too much torque.
Here is a link for the testing;
http://hondadude.webs.com/97Accpwrwndwtest.pdf
Also be sure the underhood fuse panel window relay stays engaged when trying to run the window motor.
With the age of the car you might also consider wire fatigue where the harness flexes at the door hinge.
Also you can jumper battery power directly to the motor leads to rule out a motor problem. Reverse the leads to change motor direction.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Default Thanks

Thanks Hondadude. I will try your suggestions and post back in a bit.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Default Good To Go!!

Thanks again for the advice Hondadude. The window was not between the rubber on the left track. Because it was riding on the outside of the rubber it was binding up. I was able to get it back in the track and sprayed it with some silicone lubricant. It appears to be working fine for the time being.

Thanks again!!!