General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Accord repacement of the evaporator

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Default 1997 Accord repacement of the evaporator

I am going to replace the evaporator on a 97 accord 2dr LX model. The drain hose underneth the passanger side in leaking freon so I am guessing that the evaporator is leaking or a seal or O-ring is leaking in the cooling unit that is behind the glove box. I have not be able to find any illustrations or step by step for this project. I don't want to damage anything while I am trying to get access to the A/C cooling unit. Please Help.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

What's leaking? The refrigerant is a gas. Dripping liquid water is normal.
Look at the on-line manuals sticky in the main DIY section.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:26 PM

I am sorry I did not explain it to well the first time, my bad. I bought the car at an auction the AC did not work at the time I put freon using the bottle that you can buy at any car parts store, the compressor kicked on and I was riding in style for a couple of hours until the system started to blow hot air agian. Next I tried a bottle with a ultra green dye for the purpose to loacate leaks. There was a puddle of green dye underneth the passenger's side which is the dye from the bottle for the pupose to loacte leaks. I did notice that there is a discharge or drain hose where the dye is dripping from which I am assuming is for the AC cooling unit, Is this correct? If so then my leak could very well be coming from that area which could be an O ring or the Evaporator. Is this correct? I also tried a bottle of freon with leak stop the AC worked great blew ice cold air for about a week the again with the hot air. Thinking I my have done some damage to the system using the leak stop I tried the green dye stuff again and got the same results. Please lead me in the right dirction. and thanks for you reply.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

OK, I was just trying not to take anything for granted...

The AC evaporator case is kinda to the right of center. Ventilation blower blows into the evaporator so look for the round blower housing below the glovebox.

That drain hose is #14, so if the dye comes out there, the leak must be in the evaporator itself or some of the nearby tubing connections inside the evap case.

Not sure if the leak-stop did any damage, but maybe just caused a big mess. The expansion valve (#11) is probably the most restrictive part of the system, so if anything it may have plugged that up.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:18 PM
Default 97 Accord

Thanks for the info it has been helpfull, but I guess what my real question has been is how do I access the ac cooling unit so that I can inspect, repair and or replace any items loacated in there. Do I have to remove the center consel, the dash and the airbag? Or can this job be done just by removing the glove box? If I do have to remove the items metioned where are the screws, clips, bolts and eletrical wiring disconnects...etc? Is there a how to get acess and remove the ac cooling unit step by step out there. Some of these things I will probly figure out as I go along when I get into this job. Sometimes these cosmitic items can be a real pian. If I do have to remove any of them to get access to the ac cooling unit then I would just fell more comfortable if I just new where to look and to what has to be removed before hand so that I don't make this job any harder or expensive then it really is. I have been able to find great step by step instruction and How to Do information on serveral other items except for this one, which I find strange because I have been told that the most common repair on this model for ac work is the evaporator, don't know if thats ture but that is what I heard. I also been told by some that I would have to remove all the thing mentioned (center consel, glove box, dash and airbag) to access the ac cooling unit and I have also been told by others that all I would have to do is remove the glove box. I am beging to feel like there is no DIY information on this job I might just have to figure it out as I go along. Dose anyone have any information on removal of the dash, center consel and passager side airbag on this model? In case I do have to remove these items. Thanks agian for for responce and help any info is helpfull.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

I've never owned a 97, so I'm kinda guessing.

Probably have to remove the glovebox & the panel underneath the glovebox. Probably another panel just to the left of the passenger's feet. Not sure about the console, but maybe not.

Go to www dot hondaautomotiveparts dot com
click on "PARTS"
enter your car's information
that's where I get these pictures...

For the parts category, try:
heater blower
console
I'm not sure what they call the category for the dashboard??

Old 05-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Default 97 accord

Thanks for your responce to my problem, your responces have been helpfull. I think I found the information that I needed on the Sticky on line manal and it dose state that I will have to remove the glove box as well as instructions on how to remove those items. I must have missed that part the first time I downloaded the manal or I was just stuck on the conflicting information from the different mechanics in my area. Thanks agian.