General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Evaporator on 1994 Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Replacing Evaporator on 1994 Honda Accord

With some dye and a can of R134, my buddy and I deduced my AC leak to be in the evaporator core. As we're both mechanically inclined, we've decided that we're going to go ahead and replace the evaporator ourselves.

We've got all the equipment to evacuate and recharge the system, etc. etc. What we don't have is first-hand knowledge on removing the evaporator from a 1994 Honda Accord.

If anyone out there has performed this job before, specifically on a 94-97 Accord, I would love to hear from you. Primarily, what exactly did you have to do to remove the evaporator? Remove the glovebox? Any screws and bolts? And finally, was it a difficult job? How many hours should I allow for this job?

At first glance, it looks pretty straight forward. But as most of you know, all auto repairs look that way when the job begins. I'd rather be prepared with knowledge right up front, than chasing my tail halfway through this job.

Thanks,

Old 05-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Its not too bad.

You take out the glove box by unscrewing the 4 bolts at the hinge. There is a metal bracket that has two bolts that needs removed. The one near the center console is a bit tight, so you will have to use a boxed wrench or a small socket.

You can swing that bracket down, so don't try to unplug all the stuff on there.

I unbolted my cruise control to get access to the pipes feeding the evaporator in the engine bay.

For the evaporator, you'll just need some extensions to get at the mounting bolts.

When I installed mine, the rubber gasket for the pipes kept popping out, because I couldn't get it installed on the firewall properly. The drain tube is a bit of a pain to push through too. The charcoal canister just lifts out of its bracket, and you can easily pull the drain tube and get that gasket installed.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:50 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks. That really helps me out! I'll report back with how it all goes.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Good advice from PAHonda.

One thing I would add. When you get your replacement evaporator (used?), replace all the orings on the expansion valve and temperature sensing bulb. They tend to leak w/ age. You may find your old evaporator is leaking around these joints, in which case you don't need a replacement part. The expansion valve is brass and evaporator is aluminum. A dissimilar metals corrosion occurs which deposits a white powder in the connection. The powder eventually distorts the oring until it leaks. Clean connection parts carefully w/ steel wool (not sandpaper), and relube new oring w/ Nylog oring conditioner.

good luck

Old 05-22-2009, 12:58 PM

Im in the process of removing mine as we speak as well. my air conditioning system was bad entirely so i had the compressor and condenser removed and now im getting rid of my evaporator.

the two bolts in the engine bay on the hoses are tricky because the lines like to bend and give. I would be careful as you plan to restore the system. the glove box came out without any problems. just b careful because the support bracket has the fan timer on it. im waiting for tools to finish the job so ill let you know how it went.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:54 AM

I just recently got my first Honda, it's a 94 Accord EX. After driving it for a couple weeks and using the AC, the dripping water on the passenger side fried the computer.

The mechanic I use, cleaned the drain tube the day he added freon to the system. After letting the car run for a good 30 minutes, I left the shop and the speedometer started going haywire about 1/2 mile down the road, along with loss of power. On returning to the shop, I had to make a hard, uphill left into his shop area and it poured mega water, (cold, rusty water) all over my feet and driver's floor mat.

Well, after that and making it home, the car never worked right nor would not start again consistently until the computer was replaced. Now I've been driving it for about 3 weeks without using the AC, for the one time I tried to use it, it again started dripping on the passenger corner (the computers were still out on the floor board, but out of the way and covered).

I took the car to the mechanic that was working on adding the freon and he removed the glove box, and found the evaporator was covered with condensation. He later removed the little fan below the glove box in the corner and put a scope up into the evaporator and you could see leaves and junk in there and he thought it appeared to be matted down.

He is telling me that the whole dash has to be removed to get to the evaporator and would cost $400?

Does this alternative work by going from the glove box area? Are there any diagrams available or video?

What might be the labor costs to do this?

Old 09-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The dash does not need to be removed. It will require 2-3 hrs labor (my guess) by an experienced mechanic to remove/clean/replace orings on the evaporator, and reinstall. $400 does not seem too far out of line, but perhaps a little on high side. I don't know what job duration is provided by auto shop guidance documents. I think they assign times for a dufus w/ two left thumbs.

Download the 94-97 Accord manual from DIY forum, Online Manuals post to get the replacement procedure. It is DIY job for competent DIY'r.

I've done this job once on my 94EX and it was not difficult.

good luck