General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998, 4-cyl sedan: loose steering

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 11:04 AM
Default 1998, 4-cyl sedan: loose steering

My stock 1998 accord (189,000 miles) has developed loose steering over the past 4-years of commuting on the rough roads of Manhattan to central Long Island. A local dealer told me that I need new struts (no leaks or excessive bounce) and ball joints (no noises, or play when pre-loaded and tested on lift). I put on new balanced tires along with a 4-wheel alignment, and that did help a bit, but over the past 2-years or so, the ride has become quite harsh and the steering feels very light and loose, and tends to follow the grooves in the road.

To my knowledge, all front end components are original, except for the R & L axles I have replaced within the past 2-years.

This is not a lowered or modified set-up.

What is likely to correct the ride and steering?

Last edited by TexasHonda; 11-25-2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Wrong Forum for Problem
Old 11-25-2010, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The anti-sway bar bushings can help ride over bumps and general feel. They are cheap and easy to replace. If they've never been done, it's a cinch they are worn out.

Taking your word that upper and lower ball joints are good, suggest to check the steering rack for any play by watching the rack as the wheel is turned on stationary car. Any rack movement would indicate loose fastenings that need to be corrected. Elevated on ramps is easier to see, but limit wheel rotation for safety.

Check tie-rod ball joints, both inner and outer for play by watching tie-rod as steering wheel is slowly moved slightly, looking for steering wheel movement w/o tie-rod movement. Good coordination w/ helper necessary. Inner ball joint is under the steering rack end boot. Again ramps are helpful. I've never seen a bad inner ball joint on Accords, but have read of this on Acura MDX.

A loose rack&pinion (gear mesh) could also cause steering looseness. There is an adjustment process for this problem.

You need a Honda shop manual. Check Online Manuals DIY post for links or puchase a manual.

good luck