General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Accord EX a/c problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Default 1998 Accord EX a/c problems

A/C compressor runs, condenser fan comes on when compressor kicks on. Initial gauge readings, low high as the gauge would go, high 250-280.
High side schrade valve leaking. Repaired that, evacuated and pulled vacuum to 30, held vacuum for one hour so I don't think there are leaks, so I replaced freon. Had to jump cycle pressure switch for first two cans (12oz each), did not after those two. It took 4 cans, still not cooling although I could feel line cooling and some temperature drop in the interior. About 97 here today, got it slightly under 80 at the closest vent. Intend to replace the cycle switch. Keeps switching off and on.

I had this accord running for at least 1 1/2 hours and the other cooling fan never came on. Is this normal? Did not over heat.

What am I missing? I just did this on my son's Tahoe and it was a cake walk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

I think the accords only takes 23oz, so you really overcharged the system. I would not run the a/c with that much R134a in the system. This is a dangerous situation.

Both fans should turn on when the a/c is running. You need to use a volt meter to see if you have 12V going to the fan connector that is not running. I would not try this on your system, because of the excess R134a you put in there.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:52 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

evac the system ASAP,, system is way, way, way overcharged ( if you have not ruined the compressor you surely will ) like PA said it only takes 23 oz max ,,,,,,,recharge system add only around 21 oz,R134A ,, also read the pressure on the low side ,depending on the pressure reading you could have other issues in the a/c system ,,let us know both pressure readings .
both fans should come on, with a/c on if one is not working you need to find out the issue and fix it ,,,,smack on the fan motor and see if it comes on .. if not chk to see if you get power and ground at the fan plug

Old 07-11-2010, 12:22 PM

What else I have found in working on auto a/c systems over the years is the evaporator can become oil logged causing an over abundance of oil in the system. I would recommend blowing the system clear with nitrogen and removing all excess oil then I would charge to factory specifications with a refrigerant scale.Of coarse always remember to triple evac. before the charge....

Old 07-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The screw on the heater control valve(HCV) may have stripped out, and every time you turn your **** to cut off water to your heater core it really does nothing. Feel your core hose past the HCV to be sure otherwise your ac would run at 80ish. Just replaced mine and my ac went from 80 to 54 degrees. good luck finding the problem.
http://www.partsgeek.com/mparts/heater_valve/honda.html is what to look for.

Last edited by hydrastas; 07-25-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Double check the fan fuses too.. that ended up being the issue with mine last week after I spent all day taking other **** apart.. oops