General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Accord F23A1 4 cyl: excess oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Repair boils down to a question of cost vs/ replacing the engine. Then you have to question what condition & maintenance records you get when replacing the engine. Not a real easy answer.

I don't know whether this might help, but an oil-analysis place like blackstone-labs dot com might be able to tell something from what wear-metals they find in an oil sample.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I appreciate how generous and helpful forum members have been with their comments (esp Jim B). My reluctant conclusion is that the engine is worn out. A bummer, since I like it & have cared for it so well. Makes me wonder if the engine didn't hold up against my only slightly more aggressive driving with the stick. And I gotta tell you, the 7 spoke machined wheels that were OEM on a '93 Prelude SI looked really good on it -- IMHO, better than any of the alloy wheels offered on the Accord EX from '98 to '02. I've pretty much decided to run it until it either stops or I can't get by an illinois OBD emissions test without spending a lot of money. Then: on to a 7th Gen (manual, only). If my finances allow it, I might compare a TSX (I like the cleaner 1st gen grill -- the new helmet visor/bucktooth grill on the TSX still does not appeal to me). So, thanks for comments, all the best!

Old 01-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies

there is a local independent honda only repair shop & I'm going to have them do a compression test and wet&dry leakdown test, $80, probably next week. I have the impression they know hondas pretty well & that I'll be able to figure out from the results of the test & what they have to say whether it's worth repairing.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:19 PM

I hate to revive a dead thread, or hijack this by any means..

I'm not sure you're still around but i'm curious as to what you've discovered?

i too have an F23A1 (in a 2002 with a 5 speed manual) that consumes an extreme amount of oil. its got 99k on it now, bought it with 87k noticed some oil consumption then, (about a quart every 1k miles) switched to 10W30 seemed to help a small amount, got me about another 200 miles or so per quart, nothing great, but better i guess.. at about 96,000 miles i had a valve failure in cylinder number 2, i tore the head down and had it rebuilt, while it was off i noticed the intake manifold and pistons (as well as combustion chambers in the head) were COVERED in carbon. so i cleaned everything up real nice, the head was dipped and cleaned at the machine shop.

anyway, 96,200 miles on the dot is when the head went back on, fresh valve stem seals, fresh valve job on all 16 valves and seats, new head gasket, fresh timing belt, balance belt, tensioners, water pump, and all related. valve clearance adjusted.. etc... AND fresh oil and filter, 10W30 weight Mobil and a HONDA filter. for the first hundred or two miles, i kept track of the oil consumption... it didn't seem to change.. if anything, it almost seemed slightly worse? it's now been almost 3000 miles since the rebuild (time for an oil change) and if i drive the car excessively hard, i lose a half quart.. that's 16 ounces of oil GONE in just over 100 miles (right about half tank driving like that) so that works out to 1 quart every 200 or so miles... and that's WITH a catch can inline with the PCV valve.

so.. i'm now down to rings/cylinder walls being the problem (i'm pretty certain, despite how clean my cylinders were)

so im really curious as to what ever came of your tests, and what route you took. i'm seriously considering selling the car.

Thanks,

Moddage