General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 Accord LX 4 Cylinder - Sputtering - No check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Default 1998 Accord LX 4 Cylinder - Sputtering - No check engine light

Dear All,

Newbie here.

I just replaced my radiator and compressor in my Honda Accord 1998 LX 4 cylinder model for $900 (06/29/2010). I got this car in 2005 and as of today it has run 105K miles.

But after replacing the radiator and compressor, the engine started sputtering randomly when the A/C was on. After a few days, it has started sputtering (even when the A/C is off) after it runs for about 15 minutes. It struggles to climb on inclines (07/03/2010). When I stop at the lights, it struggles mightily and loses power when I turn.

My mechanic suggested using unleaded fuel instead of the regular fuel to help the engine burn the fuel more efficiently. But it has been of no help. He checked the spark plug it looked ok and he suspected the wires connecting the spark plug might be causing the problem.

When I started today, the idle rpm is hitting 1250 instead of the usual 750 and it is still sputtering.

My mechanic has no idea what the problem is since the check engine light is not on and he asked me to do a diagnostic check at a Honda dealer. How much will a diagnostic test cost?

Any suggestions to help us fix the problem is greatly welcome!

Thanks
Anand

Old 07-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Leaded gasoline has be banned for some time now in the US. The 98 US accord does not take leaded gasoline.

You can stop by a parts store like autozone and have them check for codes.

Since the radiator was replaced, I wonder if your mechanic bled the air out of the system when he refilled it. Air left in the system will screw up your idle. Ask him if he did that.

If he didn't bleed the air out: When the engine is cold, drain the radiator fluid into a clean container. Loosed the bleeder valve (use 12mm deep socket) on top of the thermostat housing. Fill the radiator with the coolant you collected. Once air stops spitting out of the valve and a steady stream of coolant comes out, close that valve then top off the radiator.

If your maintenance items are due (spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor), you should consider changing them. Get NGK ZFR5F-11 spark plugs. They cost $2 a spark plug. Put a bit of anti-seize on the plug threads when installing. Check the spark plug wires for cracks in the insulation. I like NGK plug wires, or you can get some from the dealership.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:45 PM

Sorry about the unleaded fuel. I should have said higher octane rating. In Texas the regular is 87 while the higher octane one has 93 rating.

Thanks for your input. Let me try that and inform you.

Thanks
Anand

Old 07-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Higher octane should not provide any benefit for your 1998 F23 engine. It doesn't have the compression ratio to benefit from that.

I'd look elsewhere for the cause of the sputtering. How old are your sparkplugs? Distributor cap & rotor? (Normal tune-up stuff)

Old 07-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if it did not this issue before the parts were replaced i would look at the job that was just done........

everything reconnected properly?? enough coolant and system bled properly ?? too much freon in a/c system ??both fans working ?? is car overheating ??

according to the advise that this mechanic told you i would stay clear of him,, find a shop that specializes on Hondas or the dealer ,,,,,,,

Old 07-05-2010, 07:25 PM

Hi All,

Thanks everyone for your time and expertise. I really appreciate it.

Today I went to a Honda dealer and ran a full diagnostic test. They gave the following report:

Cause Correction:

Has faulty spark plug #2, had bad spark plug wire set. Check Compression
All 4 Cylinder OK 135 PSI.

Recommended:

Spark Plugs, Spark plugs wire set, Dis-cap, rotor (Honda Parts) - $360
P/S Pump reseal - $245
Front Brake pads - $195
L/F Axle boot kit (open) - $245
VTEC Solenoid Gasket set (leaking oil) - $230

The total comes around $1275. I guess Spark plugs and Brake pads needs to fixed. That will set me back by $555. Are the other fixes necessary?

Is it worth spending 1275 (nearly 2175 counting radiator and compressor) on 12 year old car or am I better off spending money buying a new car?

Thanks
Anand

Old 07-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

If you have a socket wrench with an extension, you can do the spark plugs. $360 is insane IMO. The distributor cap, rotor, and spark plug wires are pretty simple too. That will fix your sputtering problem.

The NGK spark plugs I referenced before will cost $10 at any parts store. Get a packet of the anti-seize as well. The dealership distributor cap and rotor would be ~$40. Plug wires around $60.

I would try to get a quote from an independent shop that specializes in Hondas and/or foreign cars to do the work, because those prices from the dealership are insane. Ask them to check the items that the dealership put on your list.

The outer boot should be replaced if it is torn. Brake pads can be done by any shop.

You would have to look to see how much oil is leaking from the vtec. Same thing with the PS pump.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe those prices include labor? Still, it's not too difficult to install that stuff yourself. I think they were already into Pt plugs by 1998 so more than $10 for the set. Get the proper NGK plugs at most car-parts chain stores.

Brake pads a bit more difficult; you'll have to lift & support the car. Don't do that work with just the tire-changing jack from the trunk.

Axle boot more difficult yet. If you're not already fixing your own cars, that might not be a job for the beginner.

Last edited by JimBlake; 07-05-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by anandram
Hi All,

Thanks everyone for your time and expertise. I really appreciate it.

Today I went to a Honda dealer and ran a full diagnostic test. They gave the following report:

Cause Correction:

Has faulty spark plug #2, had bad spark plug wire set. Check Compression
All 4 Cylinder OK 135 PSI.

Recommended:

Spark Plugs, Spark plugs wire set, Dis-cap, rotor (Honda Parts) - $360
P/S Pump reseal - $245
Front Brake pads - $195
L/F Axle boot kit (open) - $245
VTEC Solenoid Gasket set (leaking oil) - $230

The total comes around $1275. I guess Spark plugs and Brake pads needs to fixed. That will set me back by $555. Are the other fixes necessary?

Is it worth spending 1275 (nearly 2175 counting radiator and compressor) on 12 year old car or am I better off spending money buying a new car?

Thanks
Anand
these prices are totally insane ,,,,,,,,I mean BIG TIME insane ,,,

i am not even sure if your engine requires platinum plugs ,, i do not think that it does ..

wire set $ 85-95
cap $ 24
rotor $ 22
plugs if non platinum $ 3-4 each total $ 12
plugs platinum $ 15-18 each total $ 72

it takes the total of no more than 1/2 hr to replace plugs,wires cap+ rotor ..

you do the math ,,,,,

brake pads $ 58-60 .......$ 130 in labor way way too much

buy an axle complete new from auto zone for about $ 60 ,( comes with both new boots, bands and both joints , have a shop replace it ,, should charge you no more than 100 dollars if that .

v-tec gaskets set $ 30-40 dollars , labor no more than 75 dollars

WOW ,, i got to move to that city and open a shop there ,,

By the way,, all the price quotes are for HONDA factory parts ,, I would stay clear of this shop and find a shop that specializes on Hondas in your area , they should be a lot cheaper

YOU can do a lot of this work yourself and save a lot of money

Last edited by deserthonda; 07-05-2010 at 11:08 PM.