General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 honda accord f23a1 engine noise at low rpm

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
I have heard of the bearing in the distributor rusting/siezing causing noise and usually rust under the distributor cap. I think this was earlier models, but your distributor should have a internal ball bearing.

good luck
I've also seen this happen on older model engines. The big indicator is exactly as described, rust powder on the underside of the cap. Also, older model distributors have advance weights on them and a broken advance weight spring could cause the weight to fling about. I don't think the '98s would have that type distributor though.....the ones I'm writing about were on late 1980s Acura/Hondas..........I'd have to go with the bearing being the culprit....sean

Old 04-27-2015, 11:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by NorCal Accord
I've also seen this happen on older model engines. The big indicator is exactly as described, rust powder on the underside of the cap. Also, older model distributors have advance weights on them and a broken advance weight spring could cause the weight to fling about. I don't think the '98s would have that type distributor though.....the ones I'm writing about were on late 1980s Acura/Hondas..........I'd have to go with the bearing being the culprit....sean

ok and is the bearing part of the rotor assy or is there another bearing that i need to be looking at? i have a post of what distributor i have what part number is the one i need to be looking at? its post #18

Old 04-28-2015, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

1998 distributor has no centrifugal weights & no vacuum thingies. Everything about the spark-advance curve (advance vs. RPM & load) is all done through software.

Red dust inside the distributor would have to come from the bearing - I don't think there's anything else in there except magnetic timing sensors.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ok so i went to a mechanic i know who didnt charge me to take a look now he did not do much but he said that its on the distributor side of the engine for sure and that its either the distributor or its the rocker arm on cylinder 1 closest to the distributor now he told me as of now its fine and i dont need to worry but if i get a miss fire or if the sound gets louder or more frequent we will go from there

he said that its not worth the money atm to diagnose because the car runs fine but he said its alot of labor in diagnostics to find whats really wrong because he would have to take the rocker assy out and fine the parts that have abnormal wear as well as pull the distributor out and pull it apart to find out what its doing

so when it gets to a point where it needs to be fixed i will post back on this forum to let everyone know what was really wrong because i want to help anyone else who may be having this problem and please dont look at this thread and think that your issue is the same if it is close diagnose it dont just throw parts at the problem it never works out well and to all of those who have helped me thank you so much