General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Honda accord, possible radiator leak. Please advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Default 1998 Honda accord, possible radiator leak. Please advise

Hey all my name is Alex and I am new here. Been lurking around the sight for some time now and seen some really good info. My question is regarding my 1998 honda accord ex. I recently replaced my water pump because the faulty one was making my car over heat. I looked at my radiator under the hood today and noticed that anti freezing was seeping at the top of the radiator all across it. Any info as to what is causing this would me much appreciated. I am able to ride the car normally and the fans are still working. Just wanted to addresss my cause for concern. ALso the radiator fluid seems to have ample fluid in the reservoir and inside the radiator as it was filled up last week when I replaced the water pump.did not see any fluids leaking underbeat bottom of the car. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by Aborrero4u@gmail.com; 08-06-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

The radiator is made up of an aluminum core with plastic tanks at top & bottom. The plastic tanks are clamped and/or glued around, and you can see that joint around the bottom edge of the upper plastic tank. Is that where it seems to be leaking? If so, the only reliable fix is a new radiator.

But check to see whether it's actually the cap leaking, and the antifreeze running down to collect at that seam. In that case, you might just need a new cap. Also check the upper edge of the radiator neck where the cap installs. It's possible the cap is OK but there's a crack or gouge in the surface where the cap seals.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:38 PM

Thanks do much will check and advise

Old 08-06-2012, 05:22 PM

clean the entire area so that it all looks new. Then run the car for a week and see if you can see fluid residue. Note where it is coming from. If you dont see any after a week go another week and check if still nothing check after a month.

There are two possibilities that I see here.

1. The radiator was overfilled at one point or the cap is failing and leaking over the top of the radiator.

2. There is a break in the connection between the core and the plastic collector.

Request for more info:

-Is the fluid fresh on the radiator or is it residue?
-Are you adding fluid to the reservoir to keep it topped off?
- Any Check engine lights
-Any recent overheats?