General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 Air Conditioning Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Question 1999 Air Conditioning Issue

Hi,

The issue I am having is my AC works at first, but then after awhile it turns off . I just drove from a long trip and it started out fine, but when it got warm I turned it completely off for about 2 hours and turned it back on and it was cold for a little while but then went back to warm air. I have already checked the pressure of the low side and seems to be at a good level. I checked my fuses and they were all good. Is there anything else I can check? It's hard to actually even see it that it's right underneath the alternator and there's like a plastic housing underneath the car covering it up...

Old 08-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Usually the problem you describe is caused by wear of the clutch plate on the compressor. Gap gets too large to allow magnetic field of clutch coil to close the clutch plate and engage the compressor. When cold the gap is just small enough and field strong enough to pull the clutch plate closed.

You can verify the problem by (very carefully) rapping the clutch plate while engine is running and AC is ON (but not running due to fault). If clutch engages and begins to run, excess clutch gap is confirmed.

The fix is not as easy. The clutch plate must be removed and a shim washer (there may be 2 shims remove thinnest usually) under the clutch plate removed to reduce clutch gap to spec, about 15-25 mils. Access may be complicated and difficult. I have no experience w/ V6 compressor location. It may be possible to remove wheel well cover and access, but I don't know that for a fact.

good luck

Old 08-06-2011, 04:41 PM

ummm would it be easier (even though not cost efficient) to just have someone install a new clutch and compressor?

Old 08-06-2011, 04:49 PM

The advantage of adjusting the gap is not having to discharge/recharge the system. A shop will likely charge $150 for this service alone. Besides in both cases, you must access the compressor. Repair in place is easy,...if access can be gained.

good luck

Old 08-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Default i am having the same problem

Texas...did you ever get it fixed? What was the solution and cost? I am having this same issue. Mine will run for a bit, but then the cold air stops, the lights on the air conditioner cluster/buttons turn off. Then it randomly will start up again. When it is running its nice and cold.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:23 PM

Sorry...the post is for Mizter

Old 08-12-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by jgregory01
Texas...did you ever get it fixed? What was the solution and cost? I am having this same issue. Mine will run for a bit, but then the cold air stops, the lights on the air conditioner cluster/buttons turn off. Then it randomly will start up again. When it is running its nice and cold.
Suggest starting your own thread and describe your symptoms carefully.

Try the test I described and post what happens.

good luck