General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 Honda Accord EX V6

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Default 1999 Honda Accord EX V6

My car won't start. I've tried jumping it and made sure it's got plenty of gas. The check engine light came on recently and when I tested it, it returned a code that said my EGR valve was the issue. But it's been on for a little while now and I thought I just needed to change it soon and maybe run some gas cleaner through the car. Anyways, now my car won't start. It cranks and cranks and cranks but won't turn over and start. Does anyone have thoughts on potential issues?

Old 10-27-2013, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

This could be a number of things.

Need to start by checking for fuel and spark. Not sure what tools and that you have to go about testing for these.

Fuel - Try turning the key to "on"/pos II the CEL should come on for a few seconds and go off during which the fuel pump should prime....sometime hard to hear so be sure the radio, blower motor and anything that makes noise is turned off.

If you have some carb cleaner - remove the intake tube from the TB and open the butterfly and give it a good spary (~ 5 seconds) and then try to start the car....does it run for a few seconds.

Spark - Have and old spark plug? Pull one of the wires (99 v6 still has cap and rotor set up) and insert the plug, then gound the plug and try starting the engine.....do you get a nice blue spark from the plug? PLEASE be careful.

If you have a timing light you can put that on one of the wires and see it the light flashes while try to start the car.....there are in-testers and many other things out there that can test for spark as well.