General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2 Questions - Power Steering help; Air Conditioning Help; 2006 Honda Accord EX V6

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 06:06 PM
Default 2 Questions - Power Steering help; Air Conditioning Help; 2006 Honda Accord EX V6

2006 Honda Accord EX V6 Sedan 240,000 miles automatic

1st question - My steering is tight but when I increase rpms it gets easier. Previous owner said they did not know they had to put asian power steering fluid and put some random type in. Ever since it has been like there is only a slight help in steering but when rpms are increased the help is increased. I am not versed in automobile mechanics but I have replaced a 1989 mustang engine 5.0 10 years ago with my dad. So I know maybe more than your average computer geek. I am asking if anyone knows how I should go about testing and if there are any obvious signs. Also if more information is needed I will gladly give.

2nd question - My air conditioning does not work. Previous owner said that it works if you play with the controls and flip stuff on and off. Hot air blows. The vents change air direction. Previous owner said they refilled the air coolant (The fluid to the air). My uncle said he didnt hear a compressor turn on when i flip it to air conditioning. I am wondering if there are any methods I can attempt.

Thanks for your time!

Old 06-20-2018, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Honda has unique PS fluid, not the same as other Asian cars. You need Honda steering fluid, or a few companies sell PS fluid that specifically says "for Honda/Acura". The stuff that says "all makes..." isn't for Hondas. I would get proper fluid in there first before messing around with other fixes.

You can pull the hoses off the PS fluid reservoir to drain into a pan (what a mess). Clean the reservoir with soap & warm water & dry it completely. There's a fine mesh screen submerged in the fluid that might get full of crud. Put it together & fill. That might be 1/3 of the total fluid, so repeat a couple times, depending on how much non-Honda fluid is in there.

Here's a more complete method, but maybe not necessary. Lift the front on jack stands. The PS fluid goes through a steel tube looped in front of the radiator, for some cooling. Disconnect & drain down there. With the engine not running, turn the steering lock-to-lock a couple times to drive more fluid out. Put it back together & fill. With the front wheels off the ground you can steer lock-to-lock & continue to fill.

When you start the engine, the air will make some foam so do that with the wheels still in the air. Let the foam settle, fill, repeat a few times. It's a time consuming PITA but not real difficult.

There's other people around here more expert than me about AC systems... But have a look at this thread.
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-code-s-63594/

Old 06-20-2018, 12:21 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Honda has unique PS fluid, not the same as other Asian cars. You need Honda steering fluid, or a few companies sell PS fluid that specifically says "for Honda/Acura". The stuff that says "all makes..." isn't for Hondas. I would get proper fluid in there first before messing around with other fixes.

You can pull the hoses off the PS fluid reservoir to drain into a pan (what a mess). Clean the reservoir with soap & warm water & dry it completely. There's a fine mesh screen submerged in the fluid that might get full of crud. Put it together & fill. That might be 1/3 of the total fluid, so repeat a couple times, depending on how much non-Honda fluid is in there.

Here's a more complete method, but maybe not necessary. Lift the front on jack stands. The PS fluid goes through a steel tube looped in front of the radiator, for some cooling. Disconnect & drain down there. With the engine not running, turn the steering lock-to-lock a couple times to drive more fluid out. Put it back together & fill. With the front wheels off the ground you can steer lock-to-lock & continue to fill.

When you start the engine, the air will make some foam so do that with the wheels still in the air. Let the foam settle, fill, repeat a few times. It's a time consuming PITA but not real difficult.

Yup, do a drain and refill. Here in the "salt belt", a rusty steel line can cause you to do a "flush and fill" when replacing rusty lines. I made that mistake on my own 99 Accord, but thanks to rust, I ended up flushing out the old and filling with genuine Honda fluid. I think I had 6 months on it with the "all makes" fluid.
I got my fluid off e-bay for about 5 bucks a jug (bought 5 for 25 with shipping). Don't know what Honda sells it for.