General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Accord - Keys keeps getting stucked in ignition

Old 10-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Question 2000 Accord - Keys keeps getting stucked in ignition

I just had a rebuilt transmission installed. Ever since, my keys keep getting stucked in the ignition.

I learned how to unlock and release the key. I will shift the gear from park to reverse and then park again. This releases the key from the ignition.

Is there any cable adjustment that can be done. The mechanic said that it is coincidental that the ignition assembly is broken.

Is he correct. Somebody told me it could be due to the solenoid sticking and needs to be adjusted?

Any input is appreciated.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Can possibly be:
  • Shift cable needs adjustment
  • A wiring problem at the Key Interlock Solenoid/Switch or Park Pin Switch
  • Faulty Key Interlock Solenoid/Switch
  • Faulty Park Pin Switch
You’ll probably need a service manual to see how to properly adjust the cable. If shift cable is properly adjusted and problem still exist, then may be the following.

There is the possibility that even though the shift lever is in the PARK position, it is acting like it is out of PARK; so, ground is sent through the Park Pin Switch to the Key Interlock Solenoid, which energizes the solenoid and prevents the key from being turned back to the LOCK position so the key cannot be removed from the ignition switch.
  • Key interlock solenoid/switch is part of the ignition key cylinder/steering lock assembly. If faulty, the ignition key cylinder/steering lock assembly is replaced.
  • Park pin switch is located at shift lever. If park pin switch is faulty, the shift lever bracket base is replaced, as the part pin switch is not separately available from the bracket base (which is essentially most of the shift lever).
To test the Park Pin Switch, you would remove the center console. Then disconnect the park pin 4P connector. Shift into PARK, and check for continuity between terminal 3 (Blk wire) and terminal 4 (Wht/Red wire). There should be no continuity. (If there is continuity, that means that even though it is in PARK, ground is going through the park pin switch when it shouldn’t.)

Shift out of PARK, and check for continuity again between terminal 3 and 4. There should be continuity.

For the Key Interlock Solenoid/Switch, there are other tests that can be done.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:26 PM
Smile

thanks, will pass it on.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:35 PM

so i consulted the manager at a transmission shop. As soon as he raised the car, he noticed that the transmission brackets were installed with the wrong kind of bolts (with washers) + the wrong lenght bolts - I need the longer kind, not sure how much longer. Fortunately, he had extra ones lying around from previous projects. As soon as he installed the correct size and kind bolts, no more key getting stucked.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for reporting back how the problem was resolved.