General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 honda accord hesitation issue...anyone know whats wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Default going to try the alternator cut out test

i really don't want to dabble with egr cleaning activities if this solution is the key.....

in brainstorming as to how the alternator could be the phantom culprit;

bad diodes, no.... good or bad... seeing how the hesitating starts right at the rpm sweet spot,,,, that is when alt would be ramping up output and cause arcing of conductive dust in the alt case... and my alternator is filmed up, so if if the test looks like it's the problem, i think i will try sprayong with an electrical safe cleaner first... also a mist test would cause changes....
thanks for the post.... i have to solve this.... impending road trip...

Old 07-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Default It was a defective alternator that cause P1381 code and hesitation

It acted really bad when the air conditioner turn on.
I replace the timing belt, CY sensor, distributor, gas pump, etc...finally, I try to check the alternator and replace it. Problem solved.
How to tell the alternator bad:
-Run the car, using a Volt meter, read the output voltage at the battery, it should be > 14Vdc and stay the same
-Turn on the air condition, the voltage should not drop, but the bad alternator will read >13Vdc and voltage continue dropping and there you go, that was the problem.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Default Hesitation at mid range rpm

I spent a month trouble shooting everything. IT was the oxygen sensor. Believe me, I tried everything before replacing. It can test good, but there is a bad spot in it, If your hesitation goes away by flooring it, that is it.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:55 PM

Guys it is the alternator. I know it sounds weird but this is a common problem with aroudn 2000 honda accords. I spend over $2000 trying to fix mine until I found a youtube clip that is posted above in this thread and I tried it and it's perfect now! I am soo excited I can pee myself lol. I love my accord and I wasn't gonna give up on her and you guys shouldn't either!

Old 08-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Default I did the alternator swap out and was not my problem

my problem was the oxygen sensor at the exhaust manifold, which makes since. at a certain "sweet spot" it goes bonkers and fiddles with the mixture - notice how it never cuts off and went you floor it it goes? Now, I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS THE SOLUTION for everyone, but it was for me.... after doing lots of other worthless and very time consuming things.... use to hesitate around 3500.... but will always perk up with full throttle.... and never dies.... if it is the alternator, maybe throwing a short to ground? just a tad to encourage the ox sensor malfunction.... i have a feeling this is the BIGGEST MONEY MAKER in a lonnnnng time!