General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000EX 5mt oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Default 2000EX 5mt oil leak

This morning the clutch slipped a little on start up, but after that, no problems. This evening when I returned, I noticed a couple of quarter size spots of oil on the driveway. I got under the car and it looked like the oil was coming from the filter. I changed out the oil filter, couldn't see any damaged area on the old filter, but thought it could be the problem. (I had straddled some tree branches on the road two days ago and thought maybe it had caused damage)

I checked under the car after an hour and it's dry. The reason I'm posting is because the clutch did slip this morning, which may indicate a rear main seal leak. Oil on the clutch and than burns off after it's been dis-engaged. Has anyone had a seal go with the same symptoms?

Old 12-09-2014, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Just some thoughts...

Leaking rear seal would normally drip out the little hole at the bottom of the bellhousing. Would you mistake that location for the oil filter? Would your leak be more likely to be the oil-pressure switch? (Then the slipping clutch would be a coincidence)

Usually (not absolute) a leaking rear seal would drip down along the block rather than get into the clutch. It seems to me that for it to get into the clutch it would be a larger leak that would be more clearly located at the bellhousing. It would really be leaking onto the wrong side of the flywheel, not the side where the clutch is located.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:51 AM

Thanks Jim. I checked the morning and there was one nickel size drop under the car. No problems with the clutch. I'm going to check the oil pressure switch, I would imagine that it is not a difficult part to replace.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

It is actually a bit of a pain to reach. Get underneath & reach up around the oil filter.

There's a rubber boot over it, sorta like part of the wire connector. That's probably hardened with age & heat, and stuck to the sensor.

I think the usual leak is through the switch, leaking out at the electrical terminal. You should be able to tell if it's wet with oil, up that high.

Otherwise, keep looking for the highest elevation you can find that's wet with oil.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:14 PM

I noticed that the oil pressure switch is a common source for oil leaks. I ordered one and will replace it this weekend. Temperatures in the mid-50's here in Kentucky and no rain. Probably the last time that I'll have a chance to do anything outside for awhile.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:26 PM

I'm almost ashamed to post up. What I found is that I had tightened the oil filter too tight. The last oil filter that I installed was a K&N filter. I'm used to just installing the filters "hand tight", but with the K&N there is a "nut" soldered on the base of the filter so you can use a wrench. Well, I used the wrench and I over tightened the filter causing the leak. What a dummy! I do have a new oil pressure switch, so I'm good to go.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:11 PM

Glad to hear that you located the leak. It is worth replacing the oil pressure sending unit anyway as they are a common leak source, but I would only replace it if the part you obtained is a Honda part, otherwise you might open the Pandora's box. That being said if it is aftermarket you might just want to return it and get the money back in your pocket. You can always replace it later if it starts leaking as when they do they don't leak a lot but do create drips.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Turtlehead
Glad to hear that you located the leak. It is worth replacing the oil pressure sending unit anyway as they are a common leak source, but I would only replace it if the part you obtained is a Honda part, otherwise you might open the Pandora's box. That being said if it is aftermarket you might just want to return it and get the money back in your pocket. You can always replace it later if it starts leaking as when they do they don't leak a lot but do create drips.

I still have the new switch, it's a Beck Arnley. I'm going to return it and next time I have an oil leak, the switch is the first place I'm looking. Your right about using Honda parts, they are really the best buy for the long run, thanks.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:23 PM

It turns out that the oil pressure switch was the culprit. I was convinced that it was the filter, but I replaced the switch today while doing an oil change and the oil is no longer leaking. Thanks guys, you really know Honda's!

Old 04-01-2015, 06:25 PM

Thanks for getting back to us. No one knows everything about the cars, but multiple heads are better then one. All of us at HAF are hear to help because we love to work on and learn about the cars...