General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 accord clutch problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 12:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2001 accord clutch problem?

okay the other day i was getting rdy to goto school my car is parked on a slight uphill driveway. so wat i do normally is take hand brake off and leave in neutral for 1-2 seconds and ease off the brake so my car rolls backwards than i put in reverse and reverse the rest of the way.

edit: When i took handbrake off it didnt roll back( i was on a uphill) like somthing was blocking the tires, i didnt think much and jus backed out and started driving. When i tried to go from 1st to 2nd gear, while i was in neutral again the car just slew down like the handbrake was on or somthing but the light wasnt on for handbrake. It felt like the handbrake was still gripping the wheel and kept stopping me. After i drove a km more, there was such a strong smell coming from my front wheel area and i could smell it 3-4 metres away. but from wat i know handbrake works the back wheels?

and also to note when i tried to pull up the hand brake for lik 1 inch or so it felt like it wasnt doing anything than after that u hear it clicking in so was my handbrake stuck?

i had mechanic look and he said my clutch plate was gone or bad or watever. he said the problem was my seat was to far back so i couldnt push in clutch fully when i changed gear and it jus wore out to fast.

this part is true not the seat but i dont fully disengage my clutch when changing to higher gears and i realize now thats not good. i thought it was cause it was smooth shifting.

so was it the clutch or handbrake and i jus got scammed out of 650 dollars?

Last edited by Str2010; 01-20-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

For future reference, your second paragraph is tough to read, because it is one sentence.

Was the smell coming from the front or rear brakes?

Did the mechanic repair the problem?

Old 01-20-2013, 12:22 AM
Newest Of Newbies

ya he repaired it and it works fine now but i wasnt there when he repaired it. 650 for the clutch plate pressure plate and other stuff, somthing u gotta grind my dad said?

i edited the second paragraph, sry about that my letter e doesnt work on my keyboard so i use onscreen keyboard for it and typing plus using mouse for e very annoying and hard.

wat i wanna know is would a broken or worn out clutch part cause a strong smell from tryin to drive it and slow the car down like the brakes were stuck? did i get scammed into changing clutch when a simple brake fix would of solved it?

Old 01-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

It DOES sound like your front brake was dragging. You can check whether it's still dragging, by coasting very slowly in a flat parking lot.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:49 AM
Newest Of Newbies

they already fixed the problem. i wasnt there when they fixed it cause i left it there over night.

what im wondering is could it in anyway have been a clutch problem cause they told me it was and changed my clutch. did they trick me into changing it when they knew it was a simple brake issue.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

That's hard to say with any certainty, especially over the internet. I don't think a bad clutch can cause the dragging brake, but it might still be true that your clutch was bad.

Laws vary from place to place, but are they required to show you the old parts they removed?

Old 01-22-2013, 07:49 AM
Newest Of Newbies

i think they have to show it.

anyawys i was right they either scammed me or are idiots. i was going home from work and it happened again i could get over 60km/h caus it was so hard, i stopped after 2 km and looked at my wheels. the rear passengr brake rotor was bright red like it was hit with a blow torch for half hour.

now ima take it bak and they better fix for free made me change clutch plate and stuff for no reason wasted 650$ for that.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

With the brake overheating like that, you probably want to replace the calipers. Overheated seals etc can continue to cause problems.