General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem bleeding clutch in 2001 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 08:35 AM
Default Problem bleeding clutch in 2001 Accord

Not sure this is the right place for this so correct me if not.
I had an issue with the clutch in an 01 Accord. I replaced the master and slave cylinders. Before doing this the system held pressure no problem, now I can not get it to pressurize at all. I have even gone and exchanged both new cylinders in case I got faulty ones. Here is what I have tried in the process
-Adjusting the clutch pedal multiple times both ways
-normal bleeding; pumping the clutch slowly, leaving pedal to the floor while cracking the bleeder. A clear house on the bleeder with the other end in a bottle with brake fluid. I saw a lot of air bubbles come through the hose and I continued till there was no more air but still did not regain pressure
-the mityvac; doing this I saw a lot of air come from the bleeder. There was next to no fluid doing this just a lot of air.
-Ran a hose from the bleeder on the brake caliper to bleeder on the slave cylinder, cracked slave bleeder and pumped brakes then held pedal down as I opened the bleeder on caliper. This was done to reverse bleed. This did get me some pressure. But once I removed the line from the brake and attempted to bleed normal I lost all pressure when I opened the slave bleeder. I am not opening it too far.
-A new clutch was also installed and it was done correctly. Could have been given the wrong kit.
I am frustrated and do not know what else to do. Could the master cylinder be damaged upon installation and if so how would this be done?
And The master has both feeder line and the pressure line in it and it has been secured back to the fire wall, is it possible if line an cylinder do not line up this would cause my issue? The line went into cylinder snug, has gasket on end and the retaining pin went into place easily and correctly.
I apologize for the length of the post but I have done so much and am now lost

Attached Images  

Last edited by fmcclure0311; 02-18-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

This is a little different, so I'll move it out into it's own thread.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

I have found that if you don't bench-bleed the master, it can be difficult to get air bubbles out of the master cylinder. It takes a lot of pumping even if you reverse-bleed it by pushing fluid into the slave cylinder.

When there's air in the system, the clutch pedal doesn't push back up when you lift your foot. So pumping the pedal, I loop some string around it to pull it back up. But I have also found that it works best when you control the pedal, and don't let it SNAP quickly upwards like it would if you just pull on the string. Have you tried it that way?

Old 02-20-2015, 09:29 AM
Default Bleeding

We did bench bleed it, then I installed it and tried for about an hour to bleed it the standard way. I went till I saw no more bubbles but still did not get pressure. Then we got a Mytivac. This thing sucked nothing but air from the slave for a while. That is when I tried the reverse bleeding through the slave, and your comment was correct, it was not getting all the air still!!!!
So I removed the resivor from the clutch master cylinder and connected the brake system to that feed line and bled it that way and it worked. I saw all the air come out from the slave cause it pushed it ALL from the master to the slave and everything that may have been in the line it self. This was faster and better than the standard pump, crack repeat. Better than that damn Mytivac that I do not like and better than reverse bleeding through the slave. That is not the way to go lol

Old 02-20-2015, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

I also don't like using a MityVac to vacuum-bleed, but I found it mostly sucks air through the threads of the bleed screws. I partly solved that by smearing a nice bead of grease around those threads. Not perfect, but better.

After that, I bought a Motive pressure bleeder which I like a lot better. But it's a pain to connect to the top of the MC reservoir, because Honda has too many different configurations & Motive doesn't make adapters that really fit them all.

Glad you got it (finally).

Old 01-08-2022, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by fmcclure0311
We did bench bleed it, then I installed it and tried for about an hour to bleed it the standard way. I went till I saw no more bubbles but still did not get pressure. Then we got a Mytivac. This thing sucked nothing but air from the slave for a while. That is when I tried the reverse bleeding through the slave, and your comment was correct, it was not getting all the air still!!!!
So I removed the resivor from the clutch master cylinder and connected the brake system to that feed line and bled it that way and it worked. I saw all the air come out from the slave cause it pushed it ALL from the master to the slave and everything that may have been in the line it self. This was faster and better than the standard pump, crack repeat. Better than that damn Mytivac that I do not like and better than reverse bleeding through the slave. That is not the way to go lol

how did you connect to brake system to the clutch master feed line in order to bleed the clutch? Having issues building pressure on my 2002 Honda Accord manual trans f23a1 engine and would like to try your method