General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Trouble bleeding clutch 2001 Accord EX

Old 05-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Default Trouble bleeding clutch 2001 Accord EX

Hey I'm just wondering if I can get some advice as to how to get my clutch bled properly. It's in a 2001 Accord EX with the 2.3L I4. Me and my friend were in the middle of bleeding the clutch a while ago; it was going well until all of a sudden the pedal lost pressure and just dropped to the floor. Since it appeared that there was air leaking in where the line connects to the slave cylinder, I installed a new X-ring in the slave cylinder. The leak appears to be fixed.

However, now the clutch does not appear to want to bleed. We even took a long length of hose and my friend sucked on it with the bleeder screw loose while I watched the master cylinder. We did this for a few minutes but the fluid level barely moved. There appeared to be air bubbles moving through the hose but I have no idea where are coming from. Anyone have some suggestions?

Old 05-25-2012, 09:50 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

How I bleed mine as well as the brakes is take that long hose, connect it to the bleeder and loop the other end up into one of the holes in the underside of the hood (or your friend could just hold the end up in the air)

Loosen the bleeder screw, slowly pump the clutch. Make sure you watch the master so it does not run dry.

The air bubbles can only travel up the hose so it bleeds very well.

I have used this method many many times and has always worked great.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

The pressure-plate springs provide the normal spring tension to the clutch pedal, so when you're bleeding you don't get that. I like to loop some string around the pedal to pull it up when pumping.

However, use your foot to keep it under control when pulling the pedal up. It seems to suck air into the system if you let the pedal SNAP quickly upwards.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

....speed bleeder. They are selling bleeders with a check valve in them.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

I put Speed-Bleeders on a car & they were GREAT. A year later when I needed to bleed the brakes, they didn't work. I HATE SALTED ROADS & CORROSION!

So unless they start making Speed-Bleeders of stainless steel, I'll pass. It all depends on what part of the country you're in.

Did I mention I HATE RUST!!!

Old 05-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I put Speed-Bleeders on a car & they were GREAT. A year later when I needed to bleed the brakes, they didn't work. I HATE SALTED ROADS & CORROSION!

So unless they start making Speed-Bleeders of stainless steel, I'll pass. It all depends on what part of the country you're in.

Did I mention I HATE RUST!!!
I think your love of rust is we documented

This is the furthest north I've ever lived...and will ever live. Never saw a snow plow "in town" till I moved here....had to go to Maine because of work in my early 20's.....couldn't figure out what those funny winch bumpers on trucks were, then someone told me what they were people have their own snow plow on their trucks.....wow.

For brakes, I'm still with Newton...a little time, a drink or two...no rush. For a clutch, all in for the speed bleeder...just me.

Last edited by poorman212; 05-29-2012 at 07:06 PM.