General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 Accord Couple EX V6 - not starting/no power

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Default 2001 Accord Couple EX V6 - not starting/no power

I have a 2001 Accord Coupe EX-V6. Drive it about 20-25 miles per week. It has about 180K miles on it.

Drove it one day, no issues, worked great. The next day went out at 6 am, opened door and dome light turned on, closed door and went to turn on the car ... nothing. Just a click sound. Tried again, nothing. The engine light flashed for a mili-second, but the dash was dark. No headlights, the interior lights would not turn on in the car, no brake lights.

Called AAA. Battery is good. The AAA guy said that my starter and alternator were gone. That kinda sounded weird to me, but then I found out that my wife mentioned that it might be time to donate it for a tax break and then the guy said that it'd cost too much to fix and he'd be happy to take it off our hands and was all ready to have a tow truck there within an hour. Told him I'd like to check out a few things first.

Interior light will come on when door is unlocked. Radio turns on, but showed that it needs the code because of power disruption. The trunk light comes on, but no other lights will work.

Checked a couple of other threads, checked the battery myself, looks good ... found the fuse block and the 100amp fuse looks good, but I may try to change that just in case.

I'd like to keep from spending too much money on this ... what would be my next step before bringing it to my mechanic?

Old 10-29-2013, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

How did you check the battery? How did the AAA guy check it?

A proper check with a load on the battery is needed. That device looks like a voltmeter, but it has big heating elements inside. And big clamps like you have on jumper cables. A bad battery can still look OK with a simple voltmeter.

Then there might be dirty/loose/corroded battery cables. Check BOTH ENDS of both cables. Those things can make good-enough connection for most electrical things on the car. But the starter takes way more power than all that other stuff combined.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:12 PM

I used a basic voltmeter, but my wife said that the AAA guy used three different pieces of equipment, two with clamps like you mentioned. At one point he told her that there was nothing wrong with the battery, then told her to try to start the car while he pounded on the starter.

Battery and Alternator were replaced about three years ago, the cables weren't.

I will say that I got home today (after leaving the car alone for about 48 hours) Opened the door, dome light turned on and shut off after closing the door. Then when I tried to turn it on manually, it came on. Shut it off, put the key in the ignition and turned it to the first position, then the second. All the lights came on in the dash and there was a soft 'whirring' sound. (The fuel pump?) Tried to turn the car on, everything went dead. Turned the key to the off position and tried again, nothing. Don't know if that helps?

Thanks

Old 10-29-2013, 10:13 PM

Oh ... I'll check the cables tomorrow when there's light .. .Thanks!!

Old 10-29-2013, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

You mentioned that you heard a click when trying to start the car. Is that one loud click?

Have an assistant turn the key to start the car.

Locate that click sound. Does that sound come from the starter?

Old 10-30-2013, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

From your description, failure of the ignition switch assy seems likely; no starter action and no lights on dash at times. Suggest checking for 12V to the starter solenoid drive wire (small blk/wht wire) when keyswitch is turned to Start (need help to check).

If 12v is missing, the ignition switch assy is very likely, but also check starter cut relay (under dash fuse panel). Faulty relay could also interrupt start signal.

good luck

Old 10-30-2013, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a description of what you might be hearing...?

Key to first click (ACCessories). You get radio, etc.

Key to 2nd click (ON). Main relay clicks (near your left knee), dashboard warning lamps come on, & fuel pump starts running (kinda quiet in fuel tank).
After 2 seconds it clicks again and the check-engine light goes off, fuel pump stops.
(battery & oil warning lamps are still on)

Now turn key to 3rd click (START). Many of the accessories are supposed to turn off (radio, blower, etc) to leave power to the starter. What about the dashboard warning lamps - do they go dim?

Try this if you check the small wire at the starter & it's good. While someone holds the key in the START position, hit the starter with a broomstick or something. If that makes the starter work, then it's a starter problem. If it DOESN'T make it work, then it really doesn't prove anything.