General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Accord v-6 sudden misfires..... Please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Angry 2001 Accord v-6 sudden misfires..... Please help

First off I am new to the forums so thank you for reading and hopefully being able to help me here.

I have a 2001 Accord 3.0L V-6 with just about 128k on it. I have had almost no problems at all with it. I keep up on my maintenence pretty well but have now encountered an issue and I have a guess what the problem is but hoping someone might see something I am missing or perhaps offer another suggestion.

Last weekend I was running around with no problems. I stopped out in town for awhile and when I got back into the car it started running rough and the TCS light came on and the engine light started flashing. I had the codes pulled and I had 6 codes throwing all of them linked to one another. I don't have the paper handy but I believe they were.....

Misfire on cyl2
Misfire on cyl3
Misfire on cyl5
Misfire on cyl6
Cylinder misfire
Multiple Misfire

I may have the cyl #'s wrong I'm going off the top of my head. So I'm thinking I would not go from no misfires to suddenly 4 cylinders misfiring from just a plug or a wire. The best guess I can make is that my ignition coil or rotor went out. I'm going to replace the coil, rotor, plugs, and wires while I am in there but is there anything anyone can think of I may be overlooking? Perhaps I don't even need to change all this and it could be something else entirely. Also in case anyone is wondering the problem still persists even now days later.

Also from what I have been reading iridium plugs seem to be what everyone reccommends nowadays correct?

Really any advice or insight would really be appreciated I plan on tearing into it this weekend so sooner the better. I would hate to be spending time on something that doesn't even need to be done.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Well, don't buy a distributor cap & rotor & wires just yet... your car doesn't have those.
You've got individual coils on top of each spark plug. Check for wiring connections at each of these coils. Maybe loose or corroded wiring ??

Then next thing, Hondas seem to like NGK sparkplugs the best so get them. But still, sparkplugs don't seem to go bad suddenly so that's probably not the real answer.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:15 PM

Well I find it unlikely that 4 of 6 coils went bad at the same time as 4 of 6 spark plugs all went bad at the same time since they are all independent. Any other ideas?

Old 09-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Any chance it's a bad tank of gas?

Misfires are detected by a sensor down at the crankshaft front pulley. Dirty/loose connections? (probably not, 'cause there's a CEL code just for a bad sensor)

I don't really know what the V-6 does in the way of EGR, but what about clogged EGR passageways?

Old 09-10-2010, 01:32 PM

Well I was well over halfway through a tank of gas when the issues started up. Like I said I stopped in a parking lot and the car sat for 30 minutes or so and was running fine when I stopped then when I got back in it plop and whackiness ensued. The gas I get is and have in it is the same place I always get it and it is a fairly new station with newer tanks and no history of issues there. Not saying it isn't possible it's worth looking into. Going to pull the plugs and replace them this weekend perhaps if it is a loose connection that could fix it. I'll check the EGR while I'm in there assuming I can find it. I'm not very familiar with Honda motors yet always been an owner of older american made vehicles so although similar still very different.

Last edited by 2001SCAccord; 09-10-2010 at 01:53 PM. Reason: adding more info
Old 09-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

just clear the code and drive it normally if code ( s) come back again then look into it..
as for the egr ports being plugged you cannot see it unless you remove the int manifold but then, most likely you would get a p0401 code
I would look at the plugs as well ,, use only NGK plugs platinum tips pzfr5f-11